when getting a repair quote

chassis number??? prob required to get prices, most main dealers want the chassis number to verify the exact part e.g head lamp fitted,,

Insurance??? maybe some policy are easier to deal with for getting claims paid,, not sure,, can you be more specific

well he was a sound enough guy, we walked out to the car and said are you paying for it privately or claiming through insurance. I didnt say I had settled a claim yet, I said I wanted to get an estimate so I could trade in the car and vaguely made out that the damage would be covered by the other party.

dont know why he looked at the tax/insurance discs though, which was what I was wondering

might look at tax disc just to verify engine size, sound like he was sussing out if the deal would be insurance job,, as they tend to add on a bit of fat to the quote then, as opposed to cash,,, some times the insurance jobs will be fixed with genuine new parts as oppossed to cheaper parts from breaker or motor factors

thanks for your help.

the written quote from the dealer's crash repair was 4,700. this guy verbally said it would be around 1,500/2,000 but he could be totally out, and will let me know tomorrow. reputable firm aswell. obviously i wasnt saying anything about the other quote.

its up to you really, how you want to proceed, as in all new genuine parts etc,,

course you can get the full payment for 4k and then fix it cheaper,, make soem nice holiday money,,

just an opinion

In my experience the insurers pay the repair bill directly, so how would you manage to "get the full payment for 4k and then fix it cheaper,, make soem nice holiday money"

In my experience the insurers pay the repair bill directly, so how would you manage to "get the full payment for 4k and then fix it cheaper,, make soem nice holiday money"

Just last week I had an insurance company settle with me personally for a claim. I had an estimate to repair which they agreed and the car could not be fixed for 3 weeks as garage was too busy. Insurance company sent me a cheque.

yep,, i too have gotten paid directly in the past ,, then its up to you where you get it fixed and at what price,, thats where the holiday money comes in,,,just an opinion

Back