When does the Dail go in to recess for the summer ?

neil

When does the Dail go in to recess for the summer ? Trying to time the purchase of a place and dont want to pay stamp duty if I don't have to (assuming FF/PD get back in and stick to promise!)

Re: Dail Summer recess

Assuming the election is called this week, the date of the election will probably be the 24th May. Depending on the results and the state of the parties, there is usually three or four weeks of horsetrading/discussions on a Programme for Government.

So it will be towards the end of June before the new Dail is formed. Dail generally goes into Summer recess at the end of July which only gives the new Government a window of about a month to do something about stamp duty. Otherwise it will be October at the earliest...

Incidentally, I don't think any Party is going to completely eradicate such a lucrative form of revenue, I would guess it is more likely that the rates/bands will be considerably revised.

Dail generally goes into Summer recess at the end of July

Actually it usually goes into recess at the beginning of July, and comes back at the end of September ... they sit for a day or two at both ends just so that the Government can claim it sits from September to July!

Might be a different story if we get a new Government though, seeing as the opposition have all been so vocal about needing to cut down the number and length of the Dáil breaks.

Regardless of who gets in it's unlikely that there'll be any change on stamp duty before the next budget.

Its very unlikely that there would be a change in advance of this, regardless of who is in power.

As I said in previous my post, its unlikely, not impossible. We all saw the incidences of legislation being rushed through the Dail recently and the various 'loopholes' that arose subsequently. I would hope that whoever gets into Government next time round would take time to consider the matter and the text of legislation.

Last edited:

(assuming FF/PD get back in and stick to promise!)

What promise??!!

The budget is really the only opportunity to make a change to stamp duty as it would need to be included in the Finance Act, updated annually, after the budget. Its very unlikely that there would be a change in advance of this, regardless of who is in power.

This is not the case. There is absolutely nothing to stop the Govt introducing a supplementary Finance Act at any time of the year. If memory serves me correctly this was done in a matter of days in March 1998 to implement the changes to the tax treatment of buy-to-let investors following the publication of the Bacon Report. Google "Finance No. 2 Act 1998" for more on this.

Back