When 'compacting', OE seems to have deleted the last 2 months of sent items!

Caveat

I know I should tidy up my folders more often (which might have avoided this) but this is what has happened.

Can anything be done?

Anyone used any free 'recovery' programmes?

A quick google to MicroSoft suggested ():
Many bizarre behaviors in Outlook Express are caused by small errors in the file “Folders.dbx.” This file is the master index of the message store folder and damaged entries there can create all sorts of fun, such as the wrong message or folder being displayed. When you compact all folders you are also updating this master index. If you don’t compact all folders from time to time, you are more likely to see distinctly unfunny behavior. For more on preventing and recovering from serious file corruption please see my earlier column on file corruption in Outlook Express.

Thanks for the response.

But without the help of software, have managed to locate the relevant .dbx files and have successfully restored them - necessity is a great motivator!

Now to do some serious pruning of my OE folders :eek:

Caveat when you restored them did it put them back in outlook express folders and if it did how did you do it as I compacted and don't know how to open or read the compacting files although I can find them on the pc

To be honest I can't remember - but IIRC I just googled my 'problem' and found the answer fairly quickly - I think it was on one of Microsoft's own help pages. It was straightforward enough I think, but instructions had to be followed fairly precisely.

Back