When buying a new car, is the garage required to inform the Revenue Commissioners

DeirdreM

If you buy a new car using cash/bank draft, is the garage required to inform the Revenue Commissioners?

According to , no they are not.

But using a bank draft suggests that the funds will have been 'verfied' by the issuing bank.

FYI the last time I tried transferring cash to a bank draft, the bank insisted that the cash be first lodged to a bank account.

Buying from a car dealer

If you buy your new car from a dealer (car showrooms, etc.), then it is the dealer's responsibility to register the vehicle and pay the tax before giving it to you. The price of the vehicle should include the cost of the VRT. Your vehicle will be supplied to you with its registration plates already fitted.
Once the vehicle has been registered by the Revenue Commissioners and the VRT paid, you (or your motor dealer) will receive:
  • A receipt for the VRT paid showing the registration number assigned to your car.
  • A Form RF 100 for use when you are applying for road tax.
  • Registration plates showing the assigned registration number must be displayed on your car within 3 days of the date of registration (a leaflet showing the correct legal format of the registration plates to be used is available at any VRO).
If you buy your car from a dealer, it will have its registration plates fitted by the time you take possession of it. If you buy the car privately, you will need to get registration plates - most motor dealers make these to order.

What does 'verified' by the issuing bank mean?:confused:

They are responsible for ensuring the funds are 'clean', i.e. if someone comes to the bank and asks for a draft, they will ask for ID and for evidence that the funds have not come from criminal activity etc.

I'm not really sure why the OP wants to know if the garage are informing the Revenue Commissioners or not?

Thanks for that. Re: the OP - I'd say someone is buying a car with 'Mattress' money?

Back