Wheel Bearings

Duckie

Hi folks,

Bought a second hand Renault Megane a few months ago and all is well. However, I'm hearing a lot of noise when driving over 100kms ph and reckon I'll be taking it in to have the wheel bearings looked at.

Can anyone advise if this is likely to be costly? Thanks

Duckie said:
Hi folks,

Bought a second hand Renault Megane a few months ago and all is well. However, I'm hearing a lot of noise when driving over 100kms ph and reckon I'll be taking it in to have the wheel bearings looked at.

Can anyone advise if this is likely to be costly? Thanks

Speaking from experience you should get it fixed sooner rather than later as if they start breaking up you'll feel the car slightly swerving from side to side and as they break up more you'll damage your breaks and ABS sensor (if you have ABS).

Its not much to get it fixed now before it gets worse, guessing around 50euro or less.

Are you sure its the bearings? You should hear the grinding noise at any speed.

It's unlikely to have more than 1 gone, and therefore shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks guys

I'm pretty sure its the wheels as there are no other symptoms that would suggest an engine issue.

I'll take it in before it gets worse and get the timing belt done also just to be sure to be sure.

Thanks for the advice!

If you jack up the wheel you reckon is noisy it should be possible to turn by hand and hear and roughness in the bearing.

Shouldn't too expensive to fix, I would use a good independant mechanic rather than renault though.

I think u are talking around 350 euro complete hub, you might try your local scrap yard

oulu said:
I think u are talking around 350 euro complete hub, you might try your local scrap yard
A bearing is cheap. €20-€30 only. No need to replace anything more than is necessary.

Back