Wheat Free Diet

bluebell

Hey wondering is anyone can help me. I have recently being diagnosed with an intolerance to wheat. I am finding it impossible to deal with. I feel like wheat is in everything i eat. I am finding the absence of bread in my diet really difficult to deal with. I have tried a couple of wheat free breads but they just as the same. I am hoping someone will have some recommendations for recipies for bread and or other wheat free foods. Thanks.

Hi Bluebell,

Im a coeliac (intolerance to wheat, oats, rye, hops, barley).

I was diagnosed when I was 6 so I didnt really get dependent on breads etc. and the transition was possibly easier. Ill try and help as much as I can here are some suggestions.

There really is a great selection now in Tescos. You probably already know this, but they have bread sticks (I never got to taste bread sticks till last year), biscuits, apple tart, and breads. Yes I know the breads dont compare. Hint: always toast the bread and stay away from rolls they are too chewy. The pastas are good and you can make any normal dish you would have made before.

Alcohol wise, stay away from beers but you are allowed ciders, wine, spirits (not whiskey).

In restaurants always ask if the sauces are made with corn flour as they thicken normally with regular flour.

I have to say I do really like rice cakes (Im on my own here I know), but sometimes in the evening rather than bread I eat rice cakes with mozzerella and parma ham, with oil and balsamic vinegar and a little bit of basil (my mouth is watering as I type). Its just a small example but Im just trying to show that they are not as boring as they seem to be.

If you keep your receipts from your glutenfree purchases you can actually claim on your vhi for these. Its a bit difficult as usually if you buy a loaf of bread in tescos youve a load of other stuff too on the receipt and it means keeping a load of receipts but worth knowing.

My sister has a bread recipe thats really good (she doesnt have an intolerance to wheat and makes it anyway) Ill get the recipe and send it to you. You know on a plus side, most people eat too much wheat and on a wheat free diet your skin will be clear and you wont ever experience bloating.

If youve any questions ask.
Good luck.
cas

Thanks Casiopea, I have recently found the gluten free section on tesco's . pasta etc is a godsend. thanks for the infor re vhi its good to know. the recipie for bread would be great.

I would rec the following book, available from Easons. The author has several books along similar topics.

[broken link removed]

Gluten Wheat and Dairy Free Cook Book
For the first time, the complete collection of recipes from Antoinette Savill is available in a single cookbook. Over 200 recipes cover a range of dishes for every occasion - from light no-fuss meals through to dinner parties, family celebrations and summer barbecues.

Might be an idea to join the Coeliac society of Ireland - they have some get togethers and they invite speakers / cooks to demonstrate too.

Roy

Just to point out that coeliacs don't necessarily have a 'wheat free' diet- rather a 'gluten-free' diet, and there is a distinction. So something 'gluten free' may not in fact be wheat free. However if in fact it is the gluten in wheat that is causing the intolerance, then obviously a gluten free diet is the way to go.

Like Casiopea, I find the tesco gluten free range excellent- and in relation to claiming back- if you shop at Superquinn they actually will give you a tot at the end of the year of your gluten free purchase if you use your clubcard which can be helpful. Breads etc are just trial and error- I tried many types of homemade but just gave up. I now use one type of bread- but only toasted as otherwise its like eating cardboard. The tesco brown bread is actually quite nice though.

As for main meals, the skies the limit- but only if you cook for yourself. Eating out is a minefield. Many restaurants have a tendency to think - oh a faddy eater- when you request the gluten free options- and don't take it seriously. I remember on one occasion booking a seafood restaurant for Mr.V and I for an anniversary and telling them in advance...when we arrived they came over with special gluten free brown bread made for me. I was well chuffed. And I hadnt tasted anything so delicious since I started the coeliac diet. As we left I complimented the chef on the gluten free brown bread, only to be told with a look of horror, oh no the white bread was the gluten free bread...

You can get cards from the Coeliac society in all languages to hand in to restaurants abroad to explain your circumstances, but again I rarely bother. I'm an old hand at it now anyway- I can practically smell gluten a mile away!

Blazing Salads Bread company do lots of lovely bread - got the rye sour-dough at the weekend and noticed it's wheat-free, dairy-free, gluten-free and something else free but can't remember now what, could be yeast. I love this bread as it reminds me of living in Germany although I know it's not to everyone's taste. Could be worth trying though, it's sold in their shop on Drury St (I think) and in a few shops on Camden/Wexford Street as well as at various farmers' markets. www.blazingsalads.com is their website.

The other half swears by this http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0007145934/qid=1125933604/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-8373883-1190347?v=glance&s=books&n=507846 (book) should be available off the shelf in easons.

Back