What's the cheapest (and fastest!) way to get cash invested in european index tracker for long term holding 10-101K

SPC100

Eurostoxx 50 has fallen back a lot, and I think represents good value (2000 level prices!) . I have some excess cash (xx Thousand), and will in near future have some more excess cash (xx Thousand), that i want to get invested before the market fully prices in the end of the world.

This is long term hold, will not sell till retirement, or potentially never ever sell.

I'm a high rate tax payer, and likely to be for some time. Assume that my pension is maxed, future life expenses are covered, and that I have no borrowings.

What's the quickest and cheapest way to get invested in a european index tracker?

My current options are
-Pre-pay davy select PRSA pension (and claim tax relief in the future).
-Resurrect old quinn life account (likely to take a few days to redo AML/ID etc., and might not be great value, but has advantage of no annual paperwork)
-start some other product?

Any sugggestions?

Registered with degiro. They have a virtual queue due to unprecedented demand!

3700 people ahead of me in the queue!

Registered with degiro. They have a virtual queue due to unprecedented demand!

a queue to join you mean? presumably because they all working from home unable to process all those new registrations, hardly a queue to trade that wouldn't make sense

The FT reported yesterday that investment platforms in the UK have seen a spike in new account openings in recent weeks.

I'm not sure what to make of that.

I've never met so many people that think it's a good time to start investing , I recommended Degiro to a guy in work last week and he said there was 2000+ ahead of him . That's possibly because they have been short staffed by the crisis .
I find it interesting though the amount of people that are asking me personally "how do I start investing "? , They heard there was a stock market crash .

My advice to my own friends and family is don't do it , I would never offer this advice at any time in the past but this is really unique basically a global shutdown and astronomical numbers of unemployment in the US is not impacting the stock market on announcement.

I think averaging in over the next 12-24 months would he the best bet , just split your money equally and buy on a set date regardless of world news .
Buying now for a new investor could be difficult psychologically if the investment drops 20-50%

The queue is to complete registration.

The big increase in demand for new customers implies to me that we will have significant further falls. I.e. if lots of people think it's a good time then it's not yet bad enough.

Wow, that's mad. There's certainly been a huge jump in "How do I invest" questions for sure. ETF threads number 4/10 these days in Recent Posts section. Lots of people in work saying "agh my pension is way down". It's tough to get them to understand to keep buying as their indices are now on sale. I haven't logged into my pension just stay the course.

The queue is to complete registration.

The big increase in demand for new customers implies to me that we will have significant further falls. I.e. if lots of people think it's a good time then it's not yet bad enough.

I certainly wouldn't be looking at retail investors as an indication of where markets are going. They are a drop in the ocean compared to institutional investors. Look at what they are doing.

Steven
[broken link removed]

Right now there are a significant number of people globally needing to sell off their stock portfolio just to get some money i their pocket. That is likely to continue for a while. That includes people cashing in their mutual funds, which results in large institutional sales to meet the redemptions.

Eurostoxx 50 has fallen back a lot, and I think represents good value (2000 level prices!) . I have some excess cash (xx Thousand), and will in near future have some more excess cash (xx Thousand), that i want to get invested before the market fully prices in the end of the world.

This is long term hold, will not sell till retirement, or potentially never ever sell.

I'm a high rate tax payer, and likely to be for some time. Assume that my pension is maxed, future life expenses are covered, and that I have no borrowings.

What's the quickest and cheapest way to get invested in a european index tracker?

My current options are
-Pre-pay davy select PRSA pension (and claim tax relief in the future).
-Resurrect old quinn life account (likely to take a few days to redo AML/ID etc., and might not be great value, but has advantage of no annual paperwork)
-start some other product?

Any sugggestions?
It went from about 2500 to 3800 over the year since this post.

(Found this post again when I was looking for some long term discussion on european stock market pricing).

In hindsight the degiro queue of investors was some signal for the demand at these prices.

But everyone seems to want invest in the S&P 500 exclusively from what I've seen here obviously swayed by the returns over last decade .That could be a big mistake, alot of talk now about "the great rotation " the beginning of big flows of money out of bonds and tech stocks to unloved European. UK and emerging markets that have been left behind over last 2 decades.

Back