What's the big deal about low-profile tyres?

Staples

Perhaps I'm missing soemthing. I had a car a couple of years ago that had low-profile tyres. I didn't particularly want them - they just came with the car.

As it transpired, I had a disproportionate amount of trouble with punctures etc and must have had to replace six tyres over the two years I had the car.

I know they might look attractive to some people but can anyone clarify whether low-profile tyres confer any practical benefits in terms of ride, performance etc?

low profile tyres can help with better handling and more feedback from the steering wheel, but they can also give you a rougher ride. They also look better when fitted to nice wheels on a car compared to tyres with large sidewalls.

Yeah, reduced rolling weight than standard profiles and better handling on decent surfaces, but over the rough stuff that make up a lot of our roads, they suffer.

Thanks for the replie everyone.

That's what I figured.

Don't think the cosmetic benefits would encourage me to revisit my previous experience.

Yeah, reduced rolling weight than standard profiles and better handling on decent surfaces, but over the rough stuff that make up a lot of our roads, they suffer.

The reduced rolling weight of a 19" tyre versus that of a 16" tyre is vastly outnumbered by the additional weight of a standard 19" alloy versus a standard 16" alloy. Even lightweight (read: expensive) 19" alloys will not make up the difference.

The only difference is that the sidewall is smaller, therefore it has to be stiffer to support the vehicle weight.
Stiffer rubber (ooo-er, missus) equals more vibrations from the road imperfections being transferred through to the steering and suspension (and more impact force hitting the wheel when you inevitably hit a pothole!).

However it also means that when you corner fast, the sidewall will keep the tread on the ground better, and enable the chassis to work better as the momentum is not transferred into lateral motion, but keeps pushing you around said bend.
Swings and roundabouts really.

But yeah, they look cooler

Slighty off topic...a friend is buying a Focus with low profile tyres but the original "ordinary" tyres are available and he wants them put on instead of the low profile ones..does this create any problems..i appreciate it may be a garage job.