Whats the best website for purchasing MP3's?

Re: Whats the website for purchasing MP3's?

don't know that its the 'best' but i found komplett.ie good

Do you mean MP3 players or MP3 tracks/files?

Sorry that wasn't clear. Tracks please.

There are a few existing AAM threads on this topic that you should be able to find by browsing/searching.

I use allofmp3.com and you can choose the file format (MPEG-1 Layer 3 - MP3, Windows Media Audio - WMA, Ogg Vorbis - OGG, MusePack - MPC, MPEG-4 AAC, etc.) and quality of a song you want to download. And at a price of $0.02 USD per 1MB its really cheap.

polaris said:
I download songs from iTunes as m4p files and use software from the following site to convert them to mp3.

http://hymn-project.org/jhymndoc/

Apart from the issue of legality, this site says it won't work with iTunes 6.

I also buy music from iTunes but so far have not felt the need to get around the DRM, admittedly because I have an iPod. I do think that it is unreasonable that you can't buy from one legal MP3 store and play on another vendor's device.

Is it actually illegal to do this under Irish law? Once you pay your 99c should you not be able to modify the file in any way you want? I only convert it to mp3 because I don't have an iPod. I understand that if I also made the converted file available on a filesharing program then I definitely would be breaking the law.

I have iTunes 4 on my computer, I can now see why it's constantly prompting me to upgrade to 6.

polaris said:
Is it actually illegal to do this under Irish law? Once you pay your 99c should you not be able to modify the file in any way you want?
I tried to research this in the context of ripping CDs to MP3s and was unable to find anything authoritative but it looked like the buyer of a CD has no fair use rights established in law to make copies (e.g. CD-R, MP3 etc.) for their own use and, as such, copying such content (including converting from one digital audio format to another) may well be illegal. Not that many people pay much heed.