What's the best American TV series at the moment?

Purple

What do AAM members think the best US TV series is at the moment?
I was talking to friends the other night and most of the women like the CSI type shows. The guys were more varied but generally went for the same sort of thing. Personally I find them weak on story line, script and acting while being formulaic and overly produced.

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it but I’m a huge fan of the new Battlestar Galactica series. I think its blade Runner style (post 9/11, war on terror) dark moral themes are excellent e.g. the good guys (humans) doing suicide bombings, torturing captives, lying to parents about the death of their children etc and the bad guys (robots) from their own perspective trying to build a peaceful world while spreading God’s message.

Personally I find them weak on story line, script and acting while being formulaic and overly produced.

Sounds accurate to me.

Where's Battlestar Galactica on - Sky?
I'd like to check that out too

Since The Sopranos isn't 'on' at the moment it can't count I suppose?

My guilty pleasure would probably be Grey's Anatomy - it seems to have been unfairly tagged as a 'chick' series. I think it's a cut above the usual with good acting and usually inventive storylines - less cheesy than you might think too.

(1) South Park; (2) House; (3) Boston Legal (4) (also Drawn Together if it's still on)

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Second this 6 season started last weekend still funny

Ben Stiller: You wouldn't even shake my hand the first time we met...
Larry David: You sneezed... you had snot all over your hand!
Ben Stiller: That was a dry sneeze, Larry!
Larry David: I can't assume dry, I gotta assume wet!

I like the CSI's but have to agree the acting is brutal. Caruso from the Las Vegas one is so cheesy.

And sad I know but I still watch the 2 back to back episodes of Friends on E4 at 8pm every night, and sex and the city on Paramount...the oldies are still goodies for me.

Greys Anatomy aswell...

has anyone watched Ugly Betty, have not seen any of them but my never misses it.

Ghost Whisperer is supposed to be good aswell, thats on Living

These ones are also labelled 'chicky', but when I'm finished stomping around a testorterone fuelled office, listing to intellectual talk radio to saturation point (I have to establish my masculinity before revelaing these dark admissions ) .... I like to chill out with:

Greys Anatomy
Ugly Betty
Brothers & Sisters (Channel 4, Wednesday nights starring Ally McBeal herself - the bould Callista).

Am I the only one who thinks double episodes it a bit overkill? I'd rather 1 episode held over for another night or maybe repeated on weekend nights when there seems to be SFA on the telly.

+quote=Purple;486115]What do AAM members think the best US TV series is at the moment?
I was talking to friends the other night and most of the women like the CSI type shows. The guys were more varied but generally went for the same sort of thing. Personally I find them weak on story line, script and acting while being formulaic and overly produced. +

You must be talking about the CSI Miami one with David Caruso( who cant act to save his life) in it as the Vegas one which is the orignal CSI is the best with William Petersen in it and they have had some great storylines in it. There was a two parter one done by Tarantino that was edge of the seat stuff.

Other fave progs are Greys Anatomy, 24, Ugly Betty and Desperate Housewives.

In no particular order:
House
Bones
Battlestar Galactica

Also like watching the reality shows where you actually need a skill, ie Top Chef, Project Runway/catwalk....

Will watch CSI but David Caruso is brutal... Or at least his characters lines, behaviour is brutal.... and if the git puts his bloody sun glasses around his neck one more time, the nice coroner will be extracting them from where the sun don't shine (even in Miami)!

24 all the way. Tick tock tick tock!

Thought the first few series were great - then I just sort of lost interest.

I'm sure it's still good but I guess it all became too relentless or something for me.