What's Hahn like?

AlastairSC

I have a six-hour stopover in Hahn (otherwise known as Frankfurt to Ryanair ) Never been there - is it a big bustling airport with shops and cafes or a one-hall affair? (If the latter will consider switching flights...)

TIA

It's a typical Ryanair airport, i wouldn't like to wait an hour in it never mind six.....

Hahn's in the middle of nowhere (its on the site of a former NATO cold war missile base). Its a few years since I've been but I cant imagine its much different. 1 hall and an hour long bus ride into central frankfurt.

Change if you can. It is miles from anywhere let alone Frankfurt - bloody cheek attaching Frankfurt to the name!

S.B.

it is a small airport but it does have a restuarant or two not the worst place in the world. That is a long stop over for there

I'm just using this old thread to see if anyone has any more info on Hahn airport, like the original poster I'll hve teh joys of 6 hours here in July...
has anyone tried the business lounge? Eu7 seems like a good deal if we're going to have to stay in the airport anyway.

Hahn is better than it was as they have expanded quite a lot. I've been using it fairly regularly since Ryanair first started using it as a base. They have some restuarants but everytime I'm there they are closed so I've no idea if they are any good. The don't seem to open in the evening.

As for things to do in the area - absolutely nothing.

tbh - spending 6 hours there would be a nightmare.

Hire cars are quite cheap - you are only 1.5hrs from Luxembourg, 1hr from Frankfurt, 1.5hrs from Koblenz if you fancied seeing abit of the area while you are waiting.

6 hours is not too long imo.
Many people stay in airports overnight to catch early morning flights or sometimes due to cancellations or delays are forced to wait in airports for hours on end.
There are sure to be a pub,restaurant,shop there.....you wouldn`t get much more in dublin airport.
You can always read a newspaper or book.

Would agree with the last poster. 6 hours is just not long enough. If you go anywhere (and you'd have to rent a car to do this - and probably pay the day rate for it), you wouldnt be all too comfortable as you would have to make sure you could make it back to the airport in time.

Bring yerself something to read and have a few drinks...

When you have to spend 6 hours in an airport it doesn't matter how big the airport is it is still annoying. Get a good book and find someplace to sit and have a cup of coffee.

I was there last night. While I was there I was thinking about what it would be like to spend 6 hours in the place. Not on your nelly. Depressing would be the word. The place is pretty souless. Whatever you do put off going airside for as long as possible.