What's best insurance for frequent travellers?

A.Partridge

Anyone got any experience with multi trip insurance packages? My wife and I will be making no less than 7 trips to the continent and the US in about as many months. Would be keen that whatever policy covers for all types of eventualities (i.e. no small print).

Your best bet is the Multi Trip product by the VHI (www.vhi.ie). The price is very good, around about EUR69 and it will cover you for a year from the date of your first trip. We found it great as it saved us trekkin around looking for quotes everytime we went abroad (which in our case is a lot as my husband is French).
BTW, be careful about other travel insurances and check the small print cos' we found that a lot of them don't cover you for things like pre existing illnesses.

Thanks for that advice Modus. If the vhi product covers things like pre existing illnesses and flight cancellations etc I think I will go with them. I don't even mind if they are a few euro dearer than others as long as the cover is good - don't want to end up finding out that I'm not covered. €69 euro sounds good value.

Alternatively, if you're a member of a trade union, you may find that they offer a discounted scheme.

Note that the VHI insurance is only available to members (at least that was the case last year). I've also had a Bank of Ireland annual policy before - did check the terms and conditions and they were okay but don't remember details now or if pre-existing conditions were covered.

Just thought a friend looked to buy VHI annual insurance and found it to be a lot more expensive for over 65 years olds. Seemed odd to me as the health risk element is already covered by VHI and there seems to be little extra risk of loss of baggage etc. Just bear in mind age of purchaser.

I recently got a multitrip policy with www.getcover.com - worldwide inc USA and Canada, with extra Business cover (which increases the maximum individual item allowance) for €43. That was with a discount for already having BUPA/VHI which covers med expenses up to a certain limit.

Thanks for all your replies. Just to say that I went with VHI Multi Trip in the end as it offered the best t&c's for a very good price. BTW, it is important to note that quite a few of the multi trip products out there don't provide cover for such things as pre existing illnesses or where you might have to cancel or curtail a trip. The VHI product does provide this cover, so I feel it represents pretty good value for us for €69 annually.

Back