What would happen to shares in German company if there was a German euro exit?

M

maryzzmurphy

If I had shares in a blue chip German company and Germany left the euro, when I came to sell the shares would I be paid in the new German currency or is it more complicated than that?

German blue chip shares are quoted on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange in euro.

If Germany leaves the euro, the shares would presumably be quoted in Newmarks.

It's hard to know what the impact of Germany leaving the eurozone would be on these shares. Presumably the neumark would rise in value which would hurt exports.

The economic crisis following a euro collapse would hit the profits of all companies.

In general, devaluations of currencies seem to help equities quoted in that currency. So an effective revaluation of the "German euro" might hurt equities.

Brendan

I would also imagine that the shares would be requited in the new currency, just as it was when the switch came to the Euro.

While a rise in value of a new German currency would hurt exports in the short term this would not be a long term effect. Imports would equally fall and with Germany importing all oil, pretty much all gas, and now becoming an increasingly large electricity importer this would have a huge positive effect on the production cost of German exporters who would then be able to reduce their prices.

Remember, since the birth of the GDR, the Deutsche Mark was always one of the strongest currencies in the world, and it was because of this that they had such an economic boom. In other words, strong currency means cheap imports (especially raw materials) and lots of capital attraction, the very things that would help German exporters.