What would be the typical criteria for getting a credit limit increase?

R

Rebrabuk

Just curious as to what requirements(if any) banks would usually have in accepting a credit limit increase request?

I do not have a card yet but i plan on getting a student credit card from Bank of Ireland which comes with a €450 limit, which is the set amount for 2nd year college students. Although usually this would be fine i need to use it for a particularly large purchase €1500~.

I have all the money available so it wouldnt be a case of the credit taking months to get payed back I'd just like to know whether they would even consider an increase or not(since it'd be a student card) or if theres anyway to get a temporary increase on the limit i.e for just a single large purchase.

I have tried contacting BOI by e-mail but i didn't receive any reply. I will try contacting them by phone but i'd just like to see whether anyone knows anything about this.

Just lodge the €1,500 you have to your credit card account so the card is in credit and make the purchase then.

if they are online purchases etc you could just load the card up with cash so that the funds are there and there is no need to increase the limit.

may also help avoid the temptation to spend !!

with regards to your question, i am usure but i imagine income going into your account together with a good credit history would be important. not sure what additional issues there might be on a student card..... sorry.

I have all the money available so it wouldnt be a case of the credit taking months to get payed back I'd just like to know whether they would even consider an increase or not(since it'd be a student card) or if theres anyway to get a temporary increase on the limit i.e for just a single large purchase.

Load the CC with the cash you have will result in you having an increase of funds available.

you can sometimes get a temporary credit limit increase which can be easier to get than a permanent one.

Back