what wood floor

ted

I have underfloor heating upstairs and would like to have a wooden floor covering. I have looked at engineered 14mm flooring with 3mm solid + 11mm ply and 19mm solid.

Depending on where I shopped I was given various options. Noyex recommend Sikabond with solid flooring and Junckers Polylay with engineered. It seems that solid has to be glued ( I don't have battens in the screed) and engineered has to be floated.

My dilemma is that I would like to have a solid floor but am worried about heat transfer through a 19mm solid board and possible cracking or lifting of the floor covering with the differing temps of the screed and if I use engineered would not a lot of the heat be trapped between the screed and the board. Yes I know tile is the best ooption but we feel the look would be too cold upstairs.

I would love to hear from anyone who is using solid (glued) or engineered (floating) with underfloor heating and what type of floor screed temperatures are required to heat rooms to approx. 18 degrees C and if there is a significant difference in the temp required to heat tiling.

Thanks - yes I read the previous posts but no they don't really answer my question. I see Heinbloed feels that wood won't work as the floor temp would have to be turned up so high for heat to make it through that the wood would crack but I suppose I would love to hear from someone for whom it has worked or doesn't work.

I suppose you won't hear much from those where it had worked (smiley).
As far as I understand the technic of laying wood onto a screed that acts as an UFH the problem lies not in the cracking of the timber itself, called splitting, but in losing the touch between the timber and the screed. Timber "lives" i.e. it moves. The movement depends on moisture and temperature. And since the screed has to be hot, not just warm, to get some heat through the timber, the difference between the temperatures at the bottom and the top of the timber can be too high to protect against warping. So an artificial floor on top is the only chance to get out of that problem. No timber. The next point , after solving the technical problems, is the energy efficiency of such a construction - but you know my opinion about this already.

Back