What was your first ever single?

*coughs quietly*...ahem....

My first single was David Essex "Hold me close"......and I'm sure I still have it somewhere!

What's a tape recorder?. I love AHA, esp Take me on. My first single was house of love by East 17. Had a load of older sisters so just cogged all their stuff.

Mel and Kim - Respectable.
Listening to it right now on youtube, the memories!

Can't remember what my first single was, but my Dad and older sister used to buy Abba singles, some of which I liked. We also had a "Top of the Tops" compilation record at home, which was great. It featured such classics as Lily the Pink by The Scaffold, Sugar Sugar by The Archies and others.

I think the first LP I bought was Nena by Nena. She replaced the blonde one from Abba as the object of my affections.

You obviously had a 'cool' family. The only cassette I remember my parents having was an album of Johnny Cash ( this was obviously well before the revival).

Shakin Steven's 'Green Door' but i was about 6 so technically I didn't buy it myself, think the first single I bought myself was 4 non blondes so I don't know if that represents progression or regression in musical taste.

You obviously had a 'cool' family. The only cassette I remember my parents having was an album of Johnny Cash ( this was obviously well before the revival).

Do like everyone else and claim cool credentials because your family "discovered" Johnny Cash before the revival.

My dad made me listen to johnny cash and elvis etc when i was a kid - i thought it was awful - funny how you come round eventually!

Agreed - remember holding my finger over the stop button to try and stop recording just as the song ended but before the dj started talking!! A-Ha, Duran Duran, Nik Kershaw, ah yes quality stuff.

Me too. Think there are still a few of the cassettes in my parents attic!! The first song i taped was Madonna's borderline.