What type of tyres to go for?

blueshoes

hi dudes.

Im looking for advice on tyres for a car there 15inch and i need them changed sooner rather than later. the two front ones are real bad and the back ones need changing too. although there not as bad as the front ones. anyways i have rang around a few places and ive got prices from €65 a tyre up to €120 like which one do i go for? i rang the usually advance pit stop, quick fit, but the cheapest i got was this local guy 4 bridgestone tyres 340 inc fitting and balancing, would they be a good make of trye? Or should i just go with a normal 60/65 euro one? will they all wear the same?

thanks
Blue

I can never afford the 'good' ones so I always end up buying the 60/65 euro ones (Advance) and I usually get 12 - 18 months out of them before my garage tells me I could do with changing trhem again. I drive about 50 miles a day town and country. I think that is OK. I have not had a puncture for years (touch wood) and I am useless at remembering to check my tyre pressures.
Cheap ones are fine. I asked them too and they are not re-threads, they don't sell them anymore.

blueshoes said:
the two front ones are real bad
In a front wheel drive this will usually be the case as they carry the drive and handle the steering so take a heavier loading. (few less wheel spins may help )
blueshoes said:
would they be a good make of trye?
Depends on the guy doing them. A local mechanic in my area can often supply some of the bigger name tires as cheap as the cheap tyres in the likes of QF or Advance (basically sells at cost to ensure customer satisfaction and that he'll retain the services etc). The only way to know is to ask them.

blueshoes said:
Or should i just go with a normal 60/65 euro one? will they all wear the same?
The tyres are what keep you safe and on the road. They also help control your breaking!
Just look at F1 and you'll see not all tyres are the same (an extreme example but illustrates the point). They will all perform slightly differently (be that in relation to wear, handling, breaking, performance in the wet etc etc).

I'm not suggesting that the €65 ones are any worse than the more expensive or well known tyres, just that they will not all be the same (the cheaper ones could well be the best performing of the lot! - but I'd doubt it). If you find one of the mechanics seems to have a good knowledge of tyres feel free to question him on which ones he'd suggest and question him as to why..... just because you get advice doesn't mean you have to purchase the tyres from them.

Whatever you decide, do be sure to get the tyres changed! ASAP.

Could anyone suggest a brand to go for?
And what type (summer/winter/mixed)?

I have a front wheel drive car, with 15 inch alloy wheels that needs to have a back tyre replaced (but presumably I should try and replace both at the same time)-a number of places have been recommended, but at this stage I am actually looking for a recommendation on the tyre itself.

has mention of a few places to get the tyres done and also [broken link removed] to suggest the tyre to go for.

As I'm sure you may already have found these (just threw them up so easy to find for others) I also managed to get a more personal view from the son of the local mechanic I mentioned...

Some of the manufacturers such as Pirelli, Michelin and Goodyear offer tools on their sites to help you choose. Enter the make/model info and they'll recommend some options.

mcmanus dundalk - got 4 firestones for corolla for under €200 last october. wearing fine, if not as good as the original michelins.

cuchulainn said:
..if not as good as the original michelins.

Mind me asking in which areas do you feel they aren't as good? Wear? Grip on the road? Breaking? Or allround?

hi Satanta ( I used to be Setanta before cuchulainn ). Dont think they are wearing as well. have done about 8,000 miles since last october and dont think theres another 40,000 left on them. the michelins appear to be a harder tyre but not as good at shifting water I am informed. but otherwise they are fine, grip well and are wearing very evenly. daughter purchased a 2nd hand p 206 few weeks ago and it has pirelli tyres. front two are definitely wearing faster than back to even though there is only 6,000 kms on the clock. difference is probably not that noticable. I rotated the original tyres around every service ( 10,000 miles) and there was no discernable difference in any of the 4 that came off at around the 48,000 mark. they still had reasonably good thread left, probably just on the legal mark but it was October and I didnt want to leave it till the first frost/snow
cheers

hi,

check www.autoexpress.co.uk for their tyre test. i went for vredsteins at 75 euro each (from a place based in lucan just over the bridge opposite larachon) as they are miles (pun) ahead of the rest especially in the wet (and as we live in ireland......)