what type of paint for painting kitchen units?

speedy

hoping someone might help me out here. do you need a special type of paint for painting kitchen units. we've used stain&grain(i think that's the name) in the past but now just want to paint the presses a block colour.

any tips or recommendations for paint would be fab

Depending on the surface you are painting on but essentially.....

- make sure surface is clean of any spillages/grease etc
- light sanding to create a grip
- apply something like ESP (available from paint specialsit shops) - will aid adhesion of surface paint
- you can use oil based (can be tougher in terms of wear & tear but the smells are significant during the painting & drying stages) or water based satin wood paints

..away you go

Speedy,
I painted my units almost 2 years ago with Ronseal "Tile" paint. Dont laugh! I'm pretty sure it's the same as the Kitcken units paint that they sell. Both paints are available in a range of colours. Check out the Kitchen units paints first. Easy to find on any good DIY store.

Like Ninsaga adviced above, make sure the units are well cleaned, using soap or washing-up liquid and warm water, or better still, sugar soap. Cupboards near the cooker and extractor hood can be quite greasy.

Give them a light sanding with fine sandpaper or some steel wool. Then give them a dusting to remove any fine dust or metal particles if you were using steel wool. Don't use a Brillo Pad, it leaves too much fine metal particles behind.

I took off the doors and painted them on top of my kitchen table though it's possible to paint them without taking them off. The general advice seems to take them off and paint them. It worked well for me. Taking off the handles makes things easier too, just replace them when the paint is well dried.

Be careful to put on an even layer of paint, as thick patches and heavy brush strokes show up very easily when the light is shining on them.

I found one coat to me enough

good luck with your painting!

But doesn't the Stain&Grain leave an uneven surface all over and it would therefore be hard to return to a flat even surface?

Crown Cupboard Makeover Paint in satin finish is a special cupboard paint in a limited amount of shades. I saw it in their current paint card. Supposed to go over wood, mdf,melamine,wood veneer and acrylic bath panels accordint to Crown. Thinking of giving it a go in in milk white to brighten up the old wooden cupboards!

good point sue ellen.i'll give an update when its done and if i'll be burning the kitchen down:eek:

I'm doing this at the moment; I'm using a Ronseal paint specially for the job; it's called one-coat cupboard paint or something like that.
It's not working out so well... luckily I started on the inside of one door. I've had to thin the paint with white spirits to get it to spread properly, it was too thick in its natural state. I'm now planning to do one coat with the brush and then use a paint sprayer for the final coat on each door, which kind of defeats the purpose of buying one-coat paint.
I'm finding it's very time-consuming, only for the fact that I want to replace the lot next year I would probably buy new doors.

Not knowing that one needs special paint i tried to paint mdf doors with a waterbased paint. It went on alright, but scratches really easily. I used a fleetwood paint. So I scraped off the paint and got a Ronseal mdf paint but the magnolia colour is awful whereas I really liked the fleetwood one. My partner went to fleetwood and they just sold him an oilbased paint, they don't do special mdf paint. Any advice on if I need to put a primer underneath or something or will that alone do the job? Ninsaga mentioned ESP - what is that? And the Crown colours, where can i get one of them if the fleetwood doesn't work out? Homebase or Atlantic or the likes?
Many thanks for all advice.

I got the Ronseal MDF paint in Ivory; following on from previous post, I've nearly finished the job now and it's turning out very nice, I didnt' need to use a spray in the end, just a bit of thinner made it much better to go on. I did find that the first coat scratched easily when I tested it, but with a second coat it's much tougher.
There is also a Dulux cupboard paint that I didnt' know about, you can find it on their website, and Ronseal have a good website also, or you can pick up a brochure at the diy shops that shows the colours they do. They can be hard to find as not all shops do all colours of all ranges. I found the Ronseal at B&Q but had to go to Woodies for the Tile Paint I wanted.

Back