What Travel insurance company to choose for missed departure

SPUDZ

I have a package holiday booked in the New Year traveling from UK. I have booked seperate flights from Ireland with Ryanair.

The insurance company associated with the package holiday only covers about 30% of the holiday for a missed departure due to weather/accident/public transport failure on getting to the flight on time.

Due to the unreliabilty and zero comeback from Ryanair if anything goes wrong..I am keen to get insurance to cover the full cost of the holiday.

With travel insurance I can find on the net...you must be resident in Ireland. One traveller is Irish citizen but not resident in Ireland...the other is non EU.

Can anyone advise who to get insurance with...I am really only concerned with missed departure from UK.

I have booked everything using credit card (AIB visa) so not sure if it ould be covered??

I doubt that you will find any insurance company that will ensure you for the whole amount of the ex-UK holiday if you arrive in U.K. too late for the flight to your destination, (due to the reasons you state).

As a travel agent I'd also be interested in a (reasonably priced) policy that covers one for the whole cost of the holiday.

Many companies will insure you for an amount towards getting an alternative flight to your destination e.g. Blue Insurance will pay up to 600 euros for a flight -which should cover most middle-distance destinations one-way flights. (Not much good if you've booked, say, to the Maldives or Hawaii)

Regardless of the insurance aspect I trust you've given yourselves at least three hours between arrival in U.K. and departure.

Pay very close attention to the T&C, many travel insurance policies do not cover trips booked prior to the start of the insurance policy.

You'd need to give some indication of the sum insured you are looking to cover.

I'm just returned from a ''holiday'' from hell (unless you are a trainspotter or planespotter in which case it was heaven), a sightseeing tour of a frozen over England. No planes were in the sky since the weekend plus the highways were littered with abandoned cars. I had 5 flights cancelled and had to take my baggage back each time. Because its much better to spend Xmas at home than in an airport, I ended up having to take a train to Holyhead and a ferry across to Dublin because I couldnt trust even a flight to Dublin not being cancelled. Flights were obviously cancelled due to an inability by the airports to cope with the recent weather. I bolted the flights together myself and didnt buy them as a package. VHI travel insurance have told me I'm well covered for most of my expenses. There is an excess on the policy of 85 euro however I got 40 euro for my first day stranded and 15 euro per day for each additional day plus my expenses for returning home are covered and also flight refunds are covered.

Pay very close attention to the T&C, many travel insurance policies do not cover trips booked prior to the start of the insurance policy.

My flights were booked prior to the start of the policy and they confirmed before I bought the policy that those flights would indeed be covered.

Back