What to offer on a pre-reg car, suggestions please?

werner

This time of year car dealerships annually try to clear all of their zero kilometre or very low kilometre pre-reg cars. (new year coming up and we all know they need to shift the current year cars) Remember the recession has closed many dealerships so they have to work hard to earn a profit

E.g. they have a ticket price of e.g. 14k

What do posters suggest is a valid offer paying cash with a trade in valued at 6k ?

My personal experience is the only real bargaining power the consumer has is when one is dealing in FULL cash. As one dealer said to me last summer "We both have something the other wants (ie uv the cash and iv the car) and we must somehow meet in the middle"

Having a trade-in look for extras rather than discounted price. Another way to look at it is to fight for a better price for your own car.

Others may disagree.

My personal experience is the only real bargaining power the consumer has is when one is dealing in FULL cash. As one dealer said to me last summer "We both have something the other wants (ie uv the cash and iv the car) and we must somehow meet in the middle"

Having a trade-in look for extras rather than discounted price. Another way to look at it is to fight for a better price for your own car.

Others may disagree.
agreed

i got approx 5k off a pre reg car 2 yrs ago. it was also being replaced by a newer model. sold my own and then had much more power.
By selling my own and paying cash I saved myself the guts of 8.5k compared to the trade in

This time of year car dealerships annually try to clear all of their zero kilometre or very low kilometre pre-reg cars. (new year coming up and we all know they need to shift the current year cars) Remember the recession has closed many dealerships so they have to work hard to earn a profit

E.g. they have a ticket price of e.g. 14k

What do posters suggest is a valid offer paying cash with a trade in valued at 6k ?

Its not really a cash deal, is it?

Selling your own car privately and then approaching the salesman with cash/finance will put you in a way stronger position.

Thanks for the posts

Now a little info I am buying this car for one of my off-spring

I had fun haggling with some sales folk over the weekend

Of 4 dealerships I visited (different brands of cars) the theatrics of the sales guys was most amusing, I assume their responses were taught in sales school and they learned a script by rote as they were all so similar. :) The funniest bit was when they had to discuss it with their "boss" and then came back with a more favourable offer. I thought that nonsense was long gone:)

For the same brand for the same price there is a variation in offers of 1 to 1.5k

One gent with a brass neck, offered a "cost to change price", that was obviously so off the wall I initially assumed he did not want the business but as soon as I made to leave he came down 2k making excuses for his initial quote!

The dealerships really need the business now as their sales understanbly in a recession and at this time of year are way, way down.

I will post again with an update

An update

I had a friend call to 2 of the dealerships offering "cash only" looking for a discount, the difference in what I achieved was tiny

I have achieved 90% of the dearest price my "trade in", is currently being sold on Carzone for (despite the various Sales guys initially offfering me too low prices)

I am purchasing a pre-reg car from a dealership with only delivery kilometres on it :)

I haggled down a further €500 off the price

And also the usual stuff of a full tank, Mud flaps and mats

I would advise anyone who is purchasing to have a friend make a cash offer seeking a discount to get a fair idea of the real selling price.

And for anyone who is "haggling" to walk away if the deal does not suit them and then when a deal is offered to keep on haggling until the last!

Good result Werner, demonstrates the rewards for doing your homework.
Leo

An update

I would advise anyone who is purchasing to have a friend make a cash offer seeking a discount to get a fair idea of the real selling price.

Always do even if only over the phone!!! Glad ye got sorted.

Back