What to look for on certificate of compliance for attic conversion

pbyrne

Hi,

We are coming to the end of our attic conversion and we are due to receive the certificate of compliance from the builder shortly. What does this normally include - it is an official document or merely a letter saying "I engineer John Smith have checked out the work and it in compliance with regulation XYZ". Is there a registration number or identifier that should be included to ensure the engineer is an engineer and not the builders mate with a good printer!

pbyrne.

Oh dear. Tell me you have your own independent engineer overseeing this please.

No independent engineer - the attic conversion guys provide an engineer as part of the job. I was assuming that the engineer would be relatively independent though as he would be putting his professional indemnity insurance on the line by certifying the work.

When researching at the time it looked like that was standard practice - is that not the case (admittedly it does feel a weird in that they could just get anybody, say he is an engineer and knock out a cert/letter/whatever!)

Let me put it this way- how much are you spending on this conversion? Is it worth spending a few hundred quid by getting your own engineer?

If you still feel it is not worth spending the extra then check the engineers qualifications, make sure that the cert is RIAI or CFI or Law Society standard and get a copy of their PI insurance.

BTW you should really have agreed the cert to be used and checked this guys qualifications and pi insurance before you accepted him.

And I would still advise you get your own engineer to doublecheck at this stage.

Let me put it this way- how much are you spending on this conversion? Is it worth spending a few hundred quid by getting your own engineer?

If you still feel it is not worth spending the extra then check the engineers qualifications, make sure that the cert is RIAI or CFI or Law Society standard and get a copy of their PI insurance.

BTW you should really have agreed the cert to be used and checked this guys qualifications and pi insurance before you accepted him.

And I would still advise you get your own engineer to doublecheck at this stage.

Hi Vanilla,

I have no problem spending money on an engineer if necessary - I just wanted to check for starters what I should be looking for from the current engineer.

I was taking the builder on trust that if they said they would provide a certificate that it would all be approved - now I just want to be sure that what they provide is correct. Very hard to find any information on what exactly should be provided as a consumer.

Where could I get a list of engineers that would do this work independently, I previously went searching for one:

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=41189

But found that many would not undertake domestic work - very probable I was searching the wrong lists at the time though.

Thanks for the tips so far - getting me in the right direction.

Back