What to look for in a new battery?

Complainer

I need to get a new battery, as the current one is dodgy if the car isn't used for a day or two, or if you leave the radio on while parked for a while. What should I be looking for when shopping round for a new battery? Is it just a matter of price, or are their ratings or brands or specs that I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

1. make sure the terminal on topare the same type, normally round posts.

2. Make sure the terminals are on the smae side and position as the original, Wires are generally made to go to one position if the new battery is on the opposite corner you will have problems..

3. You could ask for a battery with a higher capacoty / Amp Hour rating. That will fit.

Halfords advetise that they will fit the new battery ask them foradvice.

THanks Frank - I wasn't thinking about the physical specs at all, so I really appreciate your input. It was more about specs so the amp hour rating you mention will help. Other inputs very welcome.

Whenever I need a battery I tell them make/model of motor, they look it up in a book and give me one to suit.

Whenever I need a battery I tell them make/model of motor, they look it up in a book and give me one to suit.
Yes but if shopping around to get the best price (as we all should be doing in this day and age), how do you compare shop A against shop B?

It's been a while since I bought one for a private car. The last few have been for commercial vans so I shop local to support business's in my area. I do compare prices between local motor factors and I can claim it back so it is different.

I hear halfords give a great warrenty on their batteries so I would probably start there.

Make sure its a correct fit. A local garage tried to put a normal one into my Almera and it wasn't the right size at all, I needed a bigger/longer one.

I need to get a new battery, as the current one is dodgy if the car isn't used for a day or two, or if you leave the radio on while parked for a while. What should I be looking for when shopping round for a new battery? Is it just a matter of price, or are their ratings or brands or specs that I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

If you want to shop around when buying a car battery.......
Go to somewhere like Halfords and look up the correct battery for your car,there will be a code on the battery EG: (055 OR 063).
Then you can ring around other motor factors with the code as it will be the same for all spurious (non genuine) batterys.
:)

Back