What to do with grass verge on driveway?

W

wickla

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on how to lay a shrubbery/rockery/flowerbed going along a driveway? The house is a new build and where the lawn meets the hardcore driveway it is quite messy. I was thinking of making a foot and a half rockery each side, the length of the drive, to separate it from the lawn.

I reckon I will have to dig it out first with a spade but then I think the next step is to lay gravel and maybe some material like damp proof course to stop the grass from re-emering thru the rockery or whateve we decide to put there. I would really appreciate if anyone could give any words of wisdom on the subject?

Re: What to do with grass verge on driveway??

Most gardeners now just lay the weed proof membrane on top of the soil that is already there, once its fairly level. There is no real need to prepare the ground first. Make sure you buy a woven membrane that lets water soak through. Cut holes where you want to plant your shrubs etc and then lay either stone chippings or bark on top of the membrane. They recommend approx 3-4 inches of coverage of bark to stop weeds growing on top of the membrane. For stone chippings I think its slightly less approx 2-3 inches of coverage.

Hi folks
sorry for this but - putting mulch on a semi permeable membrane [eg mypex] is akin to putting butter on the outside of your sandwiches. The mulch breaks downs into.. compost and the weed seeds germinate again. The whole point of preventing growth of any plant or weed is ny eliminating one or any of its factors required for groth. In this case via black plastic - light and the stones at four inches depth serve no other purpose than to hide the plastic.
Mulch at 3/ 4" [recommended depth] prevents light reaching the soil and therefore the same process - but - it does not stop the weeds/ or any other seed from germinating within that 'mulch'.
The process by which the landscaping is done is correct except with the plastic cut a cross so as when you have the plant in the ground you just push the corners to the base of the plant.

sorry bout my rant!
oirish

Back