What To Do With a Sterling Cheque?

JamsODonnell

Hello,

I worked in Belfast for a number of weeks last year, during which time I overpaid PAYE and NI. I applied for a rebate and recently got a sizeable(ish) cheque back from from HMRC. So far, so good.

My question is this - is there anything I can do with the cheque other than lodge it at the foreign exchange desk of my (ROI) bank? I do not have a sterling/UK bank account.

The reason I ask is that last time I exchanged my Sterling cash for Euro at my bank, I got a terrible rate of exchange. Much lower than I had expected from looking at xe.com and An Post's rates.

Any advice much appreciated!

Don't see how, the cheque has to be negotiated somehow, perhaps getting it cashed into sterling at the branch where it was drawn ( bring i.d. ) and you could change the sterling notes at your leisure, but even at that if the cheque is crossed they will want to place it through an account, or open an account in N.I.

Hi Palerider, thanks for that!

Unfortunately HMRCs bank is in England somewhere so don't think I can turn up at their branch to cash the cheque. No current travel plans anyway!