What to do in London this weekend?

LindaL

Hi folks
Taking hubby to London for hopefully a hectic weekend, not in the mood for the usual tourist stuff (seen it all before anyway) just wanto to have some fun... anyone got suggestions of fun shows/plays/outdoor events etc.? Thanks very much - LL

Was in London last week and had a blast. First time on London Eye, took a boat ride, and went pub crawling around the West End and Camden.

Speaking of Camden, you mentioned plays - there was a Camden comedy fringe festival on last week... most of the shows are short, we ended up at three (!), names from memory:
The Dave and Dave Show
Not the Weather Report
For Your Viewing Pleasure - this one was totally hilarious and had the added advantage that the theatre it took place in was attached to a pub (although sadly the pub was a dump).

Speakers corner always good for a laugh too. Check online for events.

How about Sunday lunch in the Idle Hour in Barnes, one of the two villages of London. It's the most amazing Sunday lunch I've ever had - but you need to book.

Beware this is a bank holiday weekend in London so expect crowds at all the sites.

Was in London last week and had a blast. First time on London Eye, took a boat ride, and went pub crawling around the West End and Camden.

Speaking of Camden, you mentioned plays - there was a Camden comedy fringe festival on last week... most of the shows are short, we ended up at three (!), names from memory:
The Dave and Dave Show
Not the Weather Report
For Your Viewing Pleasure - this one was totally hilarious and had the added advantage that the theatre it took place in was attached to a pub (although sadly the pub was a dump).

Speakers corner always good for a laugh too. Check online for events.

Well you must have done it early !!

I have been in London a few times and for it, wrt alcohol, its the most boring city in the world.

Its the only place I have been to (and I've been all over) that you can't get a drink easily after 11pm on a SATURDAY night, or 10:30pm on a Sunday night. Yes folks that the weekend in my book, but in this major capital I could not get a pub to serve me after 11pm. It was rather sad and I had to end up having an exciting night in the hotel resident bar. So much for 24hr drinking in England. Yeah right:confused: I can now see why the Brits enjoy Ireland so much, where you can get a drink in a pub at 1:30am on a Tuesday night. Radical or what.

As you can tell I was not chuffed by the whole debacle. Its a great city for concerts, music, theatre, museums etc but rubbish for those who want to have a drink late at night.

Go see the Producers if its still on, it's bloody hilarious. You may get tickets on lastminute.
I also heard about a good comedy club near Leicester Sq. Search ticketmaster for that one.
I go the the National Gallery on Trafalgar everytime I'm there. It has a great selection of impressionist and expressionist paintings.
If your there on a Saturday, Notting Hill market is fun but gets very packed. Sunday has Brick lane market which is great for buying leather (Bargain harder than hard).
If you like good food dont expect much from London or even the UK, and I find hotels poor value and expensive for any kind of quality. We book hotels a couple of days before going on last minute and have founf great value with the 4 star secret hotels. just make sure from description it close to tube.
A stroll and lunch in covent garden or on the bank of the thames is enjoyable also.
Hope this helps.

There are a few 24 hour bars if thats your thing. If you like dancing, My favorite club is The Egg club, it runs from 11pm Saturday night to 11am Sunday morning. Great fun but not for the faint hearted!

Dont think Linda mentioned she wanted bars... I got the impression she wanted other types of fun things to do... more to life than drink folks

If you like good food dont expect much from London or even the UK

are you actually serious? the choice and range of restaurants in london is immense and usually much better value than here. have a look at this blog by an irish woman in london
http://eatlikeagirl.com/

the borough market http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/ is a great spot to wander around on a saturday morning, great selection of food.

check out www.timout.com/london/ for what's on. you could go to the hadrian exhibition in the british museum, or the james bond exhibition in the imperial war museum.

Back