What to do about dumping?

sidzer

At the edge of the estate I live in has been turned into a dump. TVs / Old Beds / Household goods / Black Bags - Etc.,. The area is monitored by CCTV as there is a block of student apartments nearby and we have been told that the security personal have good CCTV footage of some of the offenders and this has been offered to the council but they are not interested. One of the offenders was seen trying to set fire to some clothes and his registration and details was reported to the council.

I have phoned the Enviroment section of the local council (Dundalk Town Council) about 15 times to report this and so far to no avail. I have been told that this is not their problem as it is on HSE land. I have explained that although it is on HSE land it is spilling out onto the public roadways and is causing a problem for local residents and also the people of the town.

Plan B: I have made contact with senior adminiatrators in the HSE and they have said that they will look into it. Still waiting..........

Anyone got any ideas on what to do next.

I must say I am very disappointed- just back from France and while I can just about live with the grey skies the nappies and TVs and weeds spilling out onto the public streetscape are more than a little depressing...

S

The only advice I can offer is not to waste too much time with phone calls - they are too easily denied / ignored. If you are to have any chance of embarrassing someone into action then send registered letters - plenty of them - keep copies of letters and the post office receipts and then contact joe duffy or the likes and see if you can get a result. Language like public health and safety risk, danger to children etc is good for the letters.

Have fun

The only advice I can offer is not to waste too much time with phone calls - they are too easily denied / ignored. If you are to have any chance of embarrassing someone into action then send registered letters - plenty of them - keep copies of letters and the post office receipts and then contact joe duffy or the likes and see if you can get a result. Language like public health and safety risk, danger to children etc is good for the letters.

Have fun

Totally agree about the registered letters or you can also send e-mails with photos attached just to make it an interesting read for what ever jobs worth gets to deal with the letter.

Good luck

SLF

Send emails and cc: them to yourself as the organisation will not be able to deny receipt. Don't bother with any other sort of communication. As other posters say sprinkle these with H&S and public health warnings.

Good luck
SSE

Many people resort to putting rubbish dumped on private land out onto the roadway where the council WILL clear it up. Although this in itself is considered dumping. I'm not suggesting that you and a few others go over some evening and push it out onto the roadway.

Send emails and cc: them to yourself as the organisation will not be able to deny receipt. Don't bother with any other sort of communication. As other posters say sprinkle these with H&S and public health warnings.

Good move!

Many people resort to putting rubbish dumped on private land out onto the roadway where the council WILL clear it up. Although this in itself is considered dumping. I'm not suggesting that you and a few others go over some evening and push it out onto the roadway.

Even better move! ;)

I would try your local represetentatives, both your TD and LA councillors, you would think that they should be able to do something about this...

I would also contact the Environmental Protection Agency, which has an illegal dumping hotline.
[broken link removed]

Back