What to do about a Dutch speeding fine

girasole

Apologies in advance if this is not the most appropriate forum for this question.

Mr. Girasole has recently received a speeding fine in the post from the Dutch authorities. They have obviously retrieved his name and address from the car rental firm. He doesn't want to pay it. I think he should pay. I am concerned that he will run into trouble if he needs to rent a car in the Netherlands in the future, which is a possibility. He says he will just tell them he never got the letter.

Has anyone had any similar experience? What is the outcome likely to be if he doesn't pay the fine and then wants to rent a car in the Netherlands at some future date?

You might find the rental co will deduct these from your credit card if it remains unpaid. They may levy additional costs for admin as well.

From my own experience, the fines in Holland are increased steeply if not paid within a certain period of time. So if they do go through the rental company, it might be a few months down the line and the fine may be a lot higher than the original fine.

The Dutch are known for chasing down international drivers who speed there.