what to buy - San Francisco whats cheap to buy? clothes, shoes, cameras, gold?

As a matter of interest, how did you use the $ itune card?
I was given a gift of an iTune card but could not use it. iTunes would not let me use the $ voucher as I set my account up as an Irish account when I first registered. I put it down to some restriction used by Apple due to the price differentiation in different markets. Is there a way around this?

Just back in Dublin.

Had a great time. More on shopping, if u have any friends there try to take a discount card around 20% further u can get in many major malls [This requires one to have the US Social Security number]. Perfumes are cheaper at airport [but you wont get many varieties]. Dont bother to go to perfume mania, its 6 dollars cheaper fro every 50 dollars at airport. Also there are some good offers on perfumes in the duty free shopping. Bought cigarettes costed 136 dollars for 6 carton [200 per carton].

A place about hotels, try to stay in the city-centre, it costs a dear for cabs [transport is not that great if u r travelling outskirts.. O ofcourse if ur going to drive, heaven is he limit]. Shops, trams, busses are all close by in the town.

Have been to Union Square, there is a huge demand to ride the powell tram.. if u have time go for it, otherwise there is a lot to do in the city.

The Euro power is quiet evident, i returned back with 33% cash not for prices but just for the currency conversion rate.

Take Airlingus, food was great...
time to go to bed... good luck folks...
Slan

Fry's was definately a good shop, i found few interesting gadgets, would recommend it too. Best buy and Circuit city were bit too high in prices compared to Frys

Hi Cnu,

Welcome Home!!

I am going to San Fran next month for just 6 days and I have found your posts really helpful.

Did you do any tours out of the city?

Would you recommend a car? I have booked J.W Marriott in Union Square to stay as it seems to be central.

I also am travelling with Aer Lingus...Hope the flight is not too long (especially for someone with a bad back)!!

Armada

Thanks Armada,

Union Square is a great place, you are in the city centre. I'm not sure if ur hotel arranged a shuttle if they did not, you could take BART from airport and get down at Embercadero. Its a bit of walk, but then if u dont want to, there is this bus service to the Union Square.

We rented a car to go outside the city. Half-moon Bay [Beach] requires car. Almost all Shopping outlets need car.
If u r going to stay in the city for long, u dont need car, there is good transport witin the city.

It took 10 hrs 45 minutes for me to travel from Dub to SFO, goodies are: food in AL is good, there is a decent space between the toilet and the seats to stretch yourselves. There were two movies, but I dint require them, I had a good sojorurer we were talking all about the future of music in Ireland

Have a lovely and plesant journey Armada

Thanks,
Cnu

cnu - glad you have a good time and made it to Frys.

Soy - My husband set up our itune account while visiting my sister in SF and used her address. I forgot about that. If you have dollar vouchers that you cant use here, pm me - maybe I could buy them from you.

CNU, thanks for all your info. I followed this thread with great interest as myself and my wife are travelling to San Francisco on Sept 2nd for 6 nights. Just a couple of quick questions...
1. What is the best way to get from SFO airport to the city centre (union square)?
2. What was the name of the shopping outlet you visited and is there public transport available from the city?
3. Are tipping principles the same everywhere in the U.S? Ive been to NY 6 times.

If anyone else wants to chip in, feel free.
Thanks in advance!

Airport transfers at www.toandfromtheairport.com
Do not know where cnu went but Gilroys and Great Mall are the 2 major shopping places. Might be possible to get to Great Mall via public transport - try Google.
Tipping is the same all over the US.

Does anyone recommend taking/avoiding the BART in from SFO? I'm going to San Francisco on Aug 26th.