What telecoms / broadband for new business?

N

Newbizowner

Hi
Would appreciate any advice, I will shortly be launching a new business from my home. There will be two employees. I will need broadband for both users, a fax line plus two phones. I'm also looking for the cheapest phone calls as well. Is it ok to rely solely on Voip? We will both be on the phone a lot. It is based in central Dublin but dont think satellite broadband is an option as irish Broadband already said they couldn't install as we have no chimney.
Any suggestions would be great! thanks

Newbizowner said:
Hi
Would appreciate any advice, I will shortly be launching a new business from my home. There will be two employees. I will need broadband for both users, a fax line plus two phones. I'm also looking for the cheapest phone calls as well. Is it ok to rely solely on Voip? We will both be on the phone a lot. It is based in central Dublin but dont think satellite broadband is an option as irish Broadband already said they couldn't install as we have no chimney.

VOIP with a good ISP is fairly reliable but I would still have some sort of backup for a business (traditional land line or mobile).

Traditional fax machines do not work well over VOIP although some of the VOIP providers offer workarounds such as fax to email and email to fax services.

VOIP will not work over satellite broadband anyway so I would not be looking at that if you want to use VOIP.

If you are a business try [broken link removed] for your ISP.
Voice calls from http://www.skytel.ie

VOIP sounds like VOIP ie. poor, unless you have a very good connection and only one or two people in the office. Even then I wouldnt' exactly recommend it.

Newbizowner said:
Hi
You had a lucky lucky escape from Irish Broadband who have allegedly put 800 punters on their Guinness mast which can only take 200 punters max on the available bandwidth . Stay very very away from that shower unless you are truly desperate

DSL is best, try Smart or Magnet

VoIP works well for 3 or 4 concurrent calls on Any form of DSL costing €100 and more and with big uplinks in the order of 512k (meaning 4Mbit downlink) Therefore you can also Business BB from any carrier with 512k up, they are all grand to be honest . The package would be aroudn 4096/512 as described.

Avoid Imagine and UTV , the rest are grand, even eircom :p Fax does not work over VoIp , try a Yac or Jfax number and get your faxes sent to you by email

blacknight said:
VOIP sounds like VOIP ie. poor, unless you have a very good connection and only one or two people in the office. Even then I wouldnt' exactly recommend it.

I use VOIP in less than ideal circumstances and 90% + of the time it is as good as regular land line it is just for that <10% that I think you need a backup.

Newbizowner said:
...dont think satellite broadband is an option as irish Broadband already said they couldn't install as we have no chimney.

You can't install dishes to the front of a house or higher than the ridge of the roof without planning permision. Attaching to a chimney isn't a good idea.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Smart Telecoms broadband which is the cheapest DSL based BB around and will at least support you if something goes awry. They are definintely available in central Dublin but like any dsl based off of Eircons appaling phone network it will depend on your line quality.

[broken link removed]

From a voip point of view I think voipbuster might be of interest if you are making a lot of calls to landlines.

[broken link removed]

Do some sort of setup that once your account is in credit you can call any landline in quite a number of countries for free. I've never used it myself but I have heard that it does work and appears not to be some sort of scam (which is what I first suspected).

thanks for the advice
One quick question. There seems to be a price difference between residential and business packages. As I will be working from home with only one other person, do I have to register for a business package or can I stick with residential?

get the cheapest 256k uplink you can, thats high end residential or low end business , the companies dont care what you are.

Back