What stage to install door frames.

hayabusa

Hi,
A question for you all.

When you install door frames should they be put on before the screed is poured, or after. To ensure the frame is secure the best job would be into the screed.
I know that if you are installing hardwood frames you would do so after the plastering so not to stain the frames.
Can the frames go down to the top of the screed only, or can they be extended 150mm into insulation and screed.
Also If installing hardwood doors is it normal to put in guides for plastering then remove guides and put in frames.

Another question, looking for doors, frames, and architrives as a kit.
Anyone know of suppliers in North west.
Thanks

Door frames are usually put in after the screed is poured. don't think I've ever seen doorframes anchored before, thats not to say it isn't done.

Thanks Daveyjones.
Would I be correct in saying that the walls are plastered before the screed is poured. I thought i seen the door frames put in before the walls were plastered.
Or is ot more common to just put in a template to plaster against and then put in the door Jambs
Thomas

By screed, do you mean cement mix poured on the sub floor up a few inchs to finished floor or have you a finished floor and just pouring leveling compound? You would normally put the door frames in and then plaster, flush to them. If its done afterwards, its sure to damage plaster finish around doorway.

By screed, do you mean cement mix poured on the sub floor up a few inchs to finished floor or have you a finished floor and just pouring leveling compound? You would normally put the door frames in and then plaster, flush to them. If its done afterwards, its sure to damage plaster finish around doorway.

I was strongly advised to put up 'mock frames' before plastering. I am not sure exactly how it works but it means you can plaster right up to the mock frame and then attach the new clean door.

By door frame, I mean support that door hangs on. At the second fix stage the frame is covered with architrave and the door is hung.

I was strongly advised to put up 'mock frames' before plastering. I am not sure exactly how it works but it means you can plaster right up to the mock frame and then attach the new clean door.

Frame shutters are made to the door frame size + about 10mm in the width and height for fitting. Usually made from 22mm plywood. Alternatively you could fit the BATT frame fixing brackets, attache ply frame to this, plaster to the frames. Then remove the plywwod and install the frames. Any variation in the opes will be covered by the architrave. Ensure that the hinge side of the frame is solidly fixed to the wall, any gaps at the frame should be on the lockside of the frame, as its better to have the hinge side of the frame firmly anchored, as there is more stress on the hinge side when the door is opened.

sabre

Back