What size rims/wheels for 01 Toyota Corolla

NHG

My sister bought an 01 Toyota Corolla hatchback with alloys on it last year, her NCT is due shortly, but besides that the alloys are not is great shape (learner driver etc) and I want her to put proper rims for safer driving. Lots of pot holes around here.

What size rims should be on the car? Where can they be bought.

The size of the tyres is stamped on the side-wall in huge numbers, something like 185/65-14
or
185/65 R14

The "14" is the rim size and the rest denotes the tyre size for that rim. The actual size of the rim (PCD, off-set, etc) is stamped on the inside of the rim.

When you say "proper rims" do you mean replacement alloys or steel rims?

I mean steel rims, the alloys have chunks bent on them and I personally don't consider them safe to be driving with, she (an 18yrs old) has a pump going around in the car with her because if she hits a pot hole the tyre may go flat.

Before anyone starts, she works part time and paid for the car and insurance herself.

She thinks that she can get them from a scrap yard (tyres and all- she has a lot to learn). Maybe I am just over fussy about tyres, but to me they are one of the most important parts to a car's safety.

If the roads are that bad she might be better off going for a smaller wheel and a slightly narrower tyre with a taller side-wall.

e.g assuming my guess above is correct of 185/65-14, fit 13-inch rims and run 175/75-13 tyres on them.

Sorry meant to post this link http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

Last edited:
Thank you, just I did'nt know what to ask for when I ring around for a price and I did'nt want to be fobbed off with the wrong rims etc.

Ps.. check with her before purchasing!!!! Large alloys and low profile tyres are in the in thing! she may not appreciate the small alloy and thick tyres!!

Another alternative, run flat tyres?! more expensive but guaranteed she'll come home safely night after night...

Thank you, she bought 15" atom alloys complete with tyres in halfords for €479.99 including a new fit kit back a day or two after my last post. They look great on the car and she said that the car is much more comfortable on the road and easier to drive.