What should we do - fixed rate up on 30th April?

Cathbarr

Our current fixed rate is up on the 30th of April. We are paying 4.85% and its with EBS. We fixed 10years ago. Anyway we were looking into moving to KBC and avail for there 2.25% 2year fixed rate. But have been slow to start getting documents together and all that. We were hoping to borrow the remaining 110k balance over 10 or 11years. Hadnt fully decided yet.

Now I'm wondering what we should do? I work in the public sector so my job is safe but hubby works in the private sector. Today his job is fine but who knows what'll happen next week. We are due to revert back to EBS variable rate of 3.7% on the 1st of May.

Does anyone think this will cause rates to rise? Or will they fall? I know noone can predict the future but just looking for advice. Should we apply quickly for the KBC mortgage or just wait it out for another couple of months?

I'd still go ahead and switch to KBC, my guess is (and it's just a guess) rates may drop a bit further but not by that much, so holding out for another small rate drop of say 0.25% isn't worth it when you'll be paying 1.45% more than you need to while waiting.

Back