What should I do now?

B

Buster

I have a water leak from my gas boiler. I can see it clearly.
I called a local Gas Service company. They sent out a man (after a 3 day wait).
He looked at the boiler and said - "You have a leak". He went on to say the leak was from a water valve. I could see that myself.
He then said - "You need a plumber to fix the boiler". He then explained that he can't fix the leak because he is not a plumber! He told me that the plumber is busy, and can't fix my boiler until after Christmas - now that'll be 70 euro please!

So basically, I waited 3 days for someone to come fix my boiler, when he arrives he tells me he can't fix boilers, and charges me 70 euro for a 10 minute visual 'inspection' that told me nothing I didn't know already.

Was I ripped off? What should I do?

was it a reputable company that looked at ur boiler?

those individual are bleeding ripped off big time

You probably should have mentioned the water leak when you made the appointment.

I doubt if there's much you can do about the seventy euro you already paid. But if you want some heat you should get on to another company and tell them the problem in detail.

The company is called 'The Gas Man' and seems to be long established. I called them because their sticker was on the door of the boiler - they've obviously been here before - I'm a new owner here.

extopia - when I rang their number a lady answered. She was brusque, to say the least. I tried describing the problem - she just wanted to know my address. She didn't ask for a description of the fault and cut me off when I tried explaining it. Also, she didn't tell me that the man being sent out could not repair water leaks. If she had said so I'd have looked elsewhere. It is a water leak!

I have cancelled the cheque I wrote. I rang the Gas Man back and told them so. It didn't go down well. The mantra was repeated - we don't fix water leaks. I asked why they don't ask the client what the problem is before sending out an engineer who can't do plumbing. Their reply was that customers don't know about gas boilers, so no point asking.
Great logic.

I've told them I'll pay the 70 euro if they fix my boiler.
They said they'll ring me back.

Waiting.

Good strategy alright.
Just to be fair though I use "The Gas Man" before to extend the gas pipe to the other side of my kitchen for a new oven.
I found them very good for that & wouold use them again for that kind of thing.
I think I'd ring "The Boiler Man" for a problem with my boiler.