What self-build insurances need???

Brenbo

I’m considering building a house with direct labour.
I feel I’m pretty up to speed on the building it self but not so sure on the insurances needed.

What types of insurance would I need?
I assume the bank will insist on insurance on the house against any damage.

Will I need public liability insurance also in case anyone gets hurt on site???

All help much appreciated

Brenbo.
If you are using direct labout you become the employer so Insurance on the site is a must.

I dont think there are that many Insurance companies that provide thei type of cover..

Try Vallette Kennedy Insurance...

I understand that FBD are competetive for this type of situation. You will need Employer Liability, basically covering your liability as employer to any of yoru employees on site. It does not cover injury to employees of employees. Therefore, the carpenter is covered, but any of his employees, should be covered under his policy etc.

you will need Public Liability, to cover non employees on site, ie engineer, surveyor, visitors, peeping toms etc.

you should also insure the building in the course of construction for fire and storm and cover it for the correct sum insured and then cover the building as comprehensively as possible, once it is fit for occupation.

Feel free to email on self build insurance, not a seller but got it through a broker in Dublin called Frost Insurance, got a good deal on it.

Back