what new 3dr hatchback to go for

Graham_07

Changed previous idea on folding tin-top, looking instead at a new 3dr hatch in €30-35K range. Thinking possibly Volvo C30, Audi A3 or BMW 1 series. Have other car in family ( with L drivers too!) so this doesn't have to be terribly practical on space. Would like good quality, good residual value ( talking about keeping for 4-5 yrs ) and must look good too. Would love Cruise, leather ( if poss), sunroof or panoramic roof and good power, say 1800cc max. Any ideas-recommendations? The new VOlvo C30 seems to have all the bits but so new havent seen any on road yet. Thanks for any help

Volvo C30...drive about belfast and you'll see a good few....go for test drive.

The world is your oyster if your looking a decent spec 3 dr hatchback. Of course you've limited yourself a little by stating you want a new one as that obviously rules out any of the top spec sporty models. Also are you set on the brands you want to buy- Audi, BMW and Volvo? As you know this forum talks alot about 'value for money' so often there is mention of other brands. However I'm assuming you want a prestige european brand. As these cars are in a similar niche, it'll be easy for you to find 'group reviews' in all the usual car magazines.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrev...30_20d_v_mercedes_c220_cdi_v_audi_a3_tdi.html

There are advantages and disadvantages to the 3 models you mention...I'll just give you my own 2 cents worth:
Starting with the Volvo..well its new so not likely to change much in the 4-5 years you'll be keeping it. Understated yet good looking. Underneath is essentially a Ford Focus but without the Focus ride qualities which is a shame- again probably down to the conservative nature of Volvo. Cramped in the back but if space isn't an issue then it'll not concern you. The BMW is similar in the there is little space in the back, infact the back seats of a Series one are for tiny people only. Looks are very much of personal taste, rear wheel drive and decent ride quality. Poorly equipped for the price as with all BMWs when buying new so speccing will cost. Will be renewed in the next year or 2, and bear in mind they are bringing ot a 2 series I think (from recollection) Audi very solid and well made. A 3 dr hatchback with a good reputation afterall it started the whole prestige 3 dr hatch fad. Nice interior. VW Golf underpinnings but ride can be over firm on the sport models, yet sometimes feel less responsive in the other spec models. Been around a while and so may be due a renewal or facelift soon.
If it were me between these 3 cars, I plum for a C30 (2L petrol or 2L diesel as doesnt come in 1.8) or the A3 in diesel.
If I were looking a 3 dr hatch and it were my 30-35 k, I'd get a 1-2 year old Golf GTI with all the trimmings....though this may not be your type of car, and also due to be renewed within the next 2 years....but I'm biased

Thanks for that Sunster, I'm not limiting to new as such but max 1 y/old, or maybe a garage demo that might have been better spec'd. Am leaning to the Volvo as you said there's a 1.8L SE Sport petrol or the dsl as you said, well spec'd and I must say it has a gorgeous rear end. The Audi & BMW have pretty poor std specs adn go up a lot when you start adding in stuff. Have always been into "something different" from the ordinary so am open to any suggestions. Will have to test-drive the Volvo, maybe a weekend test-driving will shake out the best/worst. THanks again for your input.

Have you considered a Mini at all? A Cooper spec'd up the way you like will probably come in at around €30k. The new model (looks very similar to the old one) is much better than the older one on terms of engine and general build quality (feels like a BMW now). It's a great car to drive, and will have much, much lower depreciation than any of the cars you mention.

One other thing: to get a 1-series spec'd up the way you like will be expensive, and it'll depreciate very badly. Personally I'd got for the A3 of the cars you mention (or look at a Golf GTi as prreviously suggested).

Just checked out BMW's website & configurator, as Ang said.......forgggettt it. Price starts heading towards Brazil's national debt once you start adding even basic options like cruise & sunroof. Had considered Mini only (a) have yet to see a fella driving one and (b) herself doesn't like the look on them. ( is there some marketing mismatch there somewhere ?) The A3 definitely seems better spec'd for price and mayble a nearly new one with a few options would fit the bill. The GTi is the business for performance but I just don't like the look of golfs, never have. Its just a personal thing. Maybe stupid but my first item on checklist is aesthetics, appearance, do I like the look of it. I'd never ever have considered a "boxy but safe" Volvo until saw this C30. Only fear there is depreciation. The A3 and the Golf would have solid residuals although if keepin gfor reasonable time is that the primary issue. Will have to bite the bullet & go test drive them all, see what happens. Will keep you posted.

The colour!

I've had a car with that 2.5l turbo unit. It's pretty quick. Not cheap to run however.

How about this for a shot from left field?

The colour!

I've had a car with that 2.5l turbo unit. It's pretty quick. Not cheap to run however.

How about this for a shot from left field?

Yeah, defo the colour. The new Astra is probably one of the nicest looking cc's alright. Definitely worth a look although have discovered that most of the cc's, being based on original hard-tops, flex a lot with roof down giving a somewhat bumpy ride on our country roads.

If you like the volvo, then taking note of the yr one depreciation....I'd definitely buy used or ex demo...I bought my last few cars as ex demos and they've all been well specced and reliable.....as well as already having taken the initial depreciation.
Regards the 3 drAstra....its a great looking car from the outside, rides well....i think the interior though is hideous with cheap silver plastic scattered like a child designed it...Having said that its the best car opel/vauxhall has made in a long time. the old vectras, astras , omegas etc were terrible!
Regards the golf...Graham I know where you are coming from...I don't like the look of the golfs (except mk1)...but for some reason I love the new GTI and got one...

Well, I nearly got one, and I'm a fella! I also nearly got a five year old Merc SLK, and from what I've observred you need to be (a) a woman, and (b) blonde, before you're allowed to drive one. Seriously, I wouldn't let that bother me (and I have seen men drive the Mini).

Why not go for a test drive? They're a great car, and there's a huge advantage to having something with such low depreciation. Not sure about the A3, but the 1-series and more especially the Volvo will be a very expensive proposition in the long term because of this.

I had a cooper S (2003) for 3 years...loved it and was really sad when I came to change it. The beauty of the Mini is that you can get it in so many different colours, roof colours, wheels, stripes/ no stripes etc that you pretty much personalise it to your own desires.
I had it in black with white roof, with 17inch alloys, front fog spot lamps...thought it looked masculine...

Mini's look cool and there are almost infinite possibilities for personalising them, in particular the panoramic sunroof is definitely the business. Yes, very good residuals too as seen from other threads. Looks like a weekend of test drives is on the way

A bit off-topic, but I'd be curious to hear how you get on with the test drives. I went shopping for a new car a couple of months back, and I would have thought it would be a pleasure. However, I found it frustrating and ultimately depressing. The dealers seemed to have a lack of interest in even getting the basic stuff right (like having a car actually there as promised after calling them first), never returning calls etc.

I know there are good dealers out there, but there's a lot who it seems to me have just got very lazy the past couple of years and make no effort at all on what is after all a fairly major purchase for most people.

The odd thing was, the higher end dealers (Mercedes in particular) seem to be the worst offenders.

The better ones really don't suffer too badly from "scuttle shake" these days.
I'd say it's next to impossible to have the same structural rigidity with the roof down. The folding metal roofed cars are better than the canvas tops in that regard. Boot space is almost gone in most cases "topless" but you can't have it every way.

CC's tend to be a bit heavier too btw.

A bit off-topic, but I'd be curious to hear how you get on with the test drives.

Will do that. So far just called into two Volvo dealers, got brochure in one, saw car in showroom, no drive as was in a rush that day. Other dealer went in for a look as they had about 6 c30's outside, had a good look round, no-one approached me and it was quiet there. Was just looking to clear some of the brochure things in reality and wasn't really looking for salesman as such. THink I'll stay away from the beemer so its probably Audi & Volvo drives mainly with a call to Mini for another look.

I would agree with you there. ALlso there seems to be a lack of basic customer entertainment facilities like TVs, coffee etc at dealerships. I used to enjoy going to the BMW dealership in the UK, served coffee and cakes, watch the sport on sky or read the newspapers while the car got a free wash! I've been to 2 dealerships in Ireland and had to resort to staring out the window of the garage and sitting in their various cars to keep myself entertained while my car gets it service. Very poor

I've been to 2 dealerships in Ireland and had to resort to staring out the window of the garage and sitting in their various cars to keep myself entertained while my car gets it service. Very poor

Thats part of the psychology, if all you can do is look at the cars you might upgrade......very clever.

I agree, you might consider an upgrade....but the experience of waiting about, bored out of your mind in a poor dealership, will only make me look at ordering the car from another dealership with better, more comfortable facilities.
Buying into a prestige brand should include buying into a certain lifestyle and so be treated better than say other brands. Being made to feel important at a dealership adds to the prestige of buying into it

Buying into a prestige brand should include buying into a certain lifestyle and so be treated better than say other brands. Being made to feel important at a dealership adds to the prestige of buying into it

Definitely agree. There are two BMW dealerships near us. One has always seemed to have a "couldn't care less" attitude, unless you drive in in something like an M3, the other however has a definite "come on in & have some coffee even if you're only passing" In some cases its as if they assess you by the car you come in with and decide form that whether you're worth talking to.