What mp3 player to buy?

Newbie!

Hi,

Up to now I have had a samsung mp3 player. It was pretty basic but did the job.Now I want to buy a new one. Basically, I would like to use it in the car so is there any product (other than an ipod) out there that can do this?

Im open to any other features etc? What would you recommend?

Depends what you want to do.

If the car hifi as a line in, you can connect anything to it, but you'll have to use the MP3 player to control it. Some car units have USB so if your MP3 is a UMS (for music) it can read the MP3 player contents and play them. Or you can get some that control an iPod directly.

The car doesnt have a usb port so i guess the mp2 will have to connect to the cigarette lighter?

Connecting into the cigarette lighter is just for power. If you have no inputs on your car head unit, the only way you can play your mp3 on it is with an FM transmitter. What this does is plug into your headphone socket of the mp3 player, meaning you can use any mp3 player, and then transmits whats being played to a FM frequency of your choosing, within a range of around 10 meters. Then you just match up the frequency selected on your car radio and listen away. You can buy FM transmitters which are powered threw the cigarette lighter socket which is what you were probably thinking of.

You might be happy with a FM transmitter. But the sound quality is poor relative to the other methods.