What makes people truly happy? - personal perspectives.

Betsy Og

This navel gazing was prompted by a quote related on radio by Cal Thomas that was along the lines of

"If our reach is not greater than our grasp, then what is there in the heavens for us" - or something to that effect. It means, I think, that if we get everything we look for then we have nothing to aspire to, which would be a pity.

Got me to thinking about what makes people happy.

Academic Theory
(forgive the vaguesness, mining distant memory!)
On a theoretical level theres a triangle of needs (Maslow??) which at the bottom has food & shelter and at the top has "self actualisation" which more or less means being all you can be. The point being that unless you meet the lower need you cant progress to meeting the higher level need, so you wont be self actualising if you're hungry & homeless. Another theorist, in relation to work, stated that there are "hygiene" factors that dont really make you happy but without them things would be unbearable - e.g. having an open sewer outside your window, the fact that there isnt one doesnt make you happy but you'd be fairly fuming if someone opened up one. If I recall correctly there was a controversial view that pay is such a hygiene factor.

Keepin' it Real
Relating this to life in Ireland today, I suppose a lot of it boils down to the debate "Does money make you happy?"
So maybe the list of things that are perceived as making people happy includes:

Wealth - am of the view that wealth is like one of the hygiene factors described about, theres no doubt but that some is a necessity but blinkered pursuit of it to the exclusion of other things is not a road to happiness IMHO. I'm sure everyone has heard of surveys of Lotto winners who, 3 years down the line feel not greatly happier - I'd like to do some personal research on that one .....
Status - Particularly dangerous one I think. In my experience those who see their status as being very important to them tend to think about everything in terms of how it affects their status. Therefore are more likely to play the blame game because as long as they can hang someone then they think their "impeccable status" is preserved. Also leads to arrogant behaviour, tendancy towards snobbishness to differentiate themselves from "lesser" mortals, a need to impress upon people their achievement of status. Must be underlined by some sort of insecurity - those who are the best know it and dont need someone to stroke their ego, nor do they need to be ostentatious about their status.
Relationships - Your family, partner, friends, dog/cat. Surely this is the "gold" in terms of happiness. People make people happy (ok it can go the other way too!). Whos gonna love ya when you're 64/bedridden??, it aint the people your bored the ar*e off telling them how great you are.
Personal Achievement -A bit different to status because you are doing it for yourself, you can achieve without telling the world about it. People generally feel happy when they know they've made the best of themselves. This can apply to career, sport or whatever it is that is important to the individual.
Religion/Spiritual Fulfillment- Am a bit undecided about this one. On one level I think it can be the worst form of escapism & justification for laziness - "God loves us all so why should I bother getting out of bed" - "I pray so that'll fix everything", and then when you hear someone say that "I found God/This post will be deleted if not edited immediately and its changed my life, I now feel spiritual fulfillment" you might think a) they're a bit scary but b) sounds great all the same. Would it be fair on your partner if you turn into someone other than who they hooked up with, you were Joe Soap, now you're Holy Joe??
Add in Others Categories ....

Overall Wild Generalistation
Anyone else get the feeling that the country has become obsessed with the first 2 factors above and the need to show them off. The vulgarity of new wealth (& this isnt begruding old wealth talking ... any wealth would be nice ....). Was it for this the men of '16 died (sure you have to throw in an emotive historical irrelevance - thems the rules ;) )?

Where to now?
So in view of the above I'd like to think that I wont ever go for the Beemer/Merc cliche because in my rural area I think I'd only be alienating people - that bit harder to be one of the lads when you're splashing the cash. Now you could call them begruders but equally you could ask me why do I think I need a €80k+ car.

Happiness is a state of mind!
Enough money to get by. Enough friends to help you enjoy your likes.
Enough sense, not to allow your dislikes get on top of you and let them eat you from the inside.

redbhoy said:
Enough money to get by. Enough friends to help you enjoy your likes.
Enough sense, not to allow your dislikes get on top of you and let them eat you from the inside.

Are these statements on how people might feel happy and contented not extremely selfish?
I'm not having a go here, but upon seeing this, I would ask where people would view their "social surroundings" (for want of a better word) when it comes to determining their happiness.

On a personal level, I'd be able to tick all the boxes with regards to the items mentioned directly below, or by Betsy Og, on how we might all be happy with our lot in life.

Best way that I can describe how happy I am would be that on a minute by minute, hour by hour basis, I'm happy with what I'm doing, where I've been, and with where I'm going.

However, when I think of the balls that our politicians are making of our country, for example, I become extremely unhappy and disillusioned. Or when I see at close quarters the continuing level of child poverty, and by extension familial poverty over generations in some of our cities, when everyone else is jumping up and down about the successes of the "Celtic Tiger", again I become extremely unhappy and disillusioned.

Is the purely personal (and selfish) measurement of happiness described in other posts a measure of how our country is slowly but surely going down the toilet? If we end up living in a country where 4.5m only care about making themselves happy, are we as a country really going to have any future at all?

Ronan D - I can see your point but most of have a tricky enough job trying to keep ourselves and our family going.

As regards society in general if you:
a) pay your taxes
b) dont contribute to social problems (i.e. dont deal or do drugs)
c) give something to charity

would you say that is sufficient??

I know ideally we should all do some voluntary social work but I dont think we'll get everyone doing same.

I am not saying we shouldnt care, we should raise our concerns with politicians etc but agonising about the problems of society isnt really going to help the individual or the society. If our politicians dont seem to have a social conscience then we should forcibly remind them that they should, but can or should we individually try to make it all better???

ronan_d_john said:
Are these statements on how people might feel happy and contented not extremely selfish?

I wasnt saying this is what makes me happy. I was suggesting that this is when people are happy.- No troubles, carefree etc.

Q. What would make you happier- winning a race or watching someone else win it?
Does it make you selfish to choose that you'd rather win it or does it make you human?

redbhoy said:
Q. What would make you happier- winning a race or watching someone else win it?
Does it make you selfish to choose that you'd rather win it or does it make you human?

If I, and people like me, were winning the same race time after time at the expense of the same person who'd lost every race they'd entered, then every once in a while, I wouldn't mind seeing that person win. Makes me human.

(Assuming that that person was training regularly and actually trying to win the races, and not just entering to get the appearance money).

to throw another bit of academia at ye

"locus of control" - the extent to which you feel in control of your own destiny

For myself I like to feel I'm not relying on anyone for anything or beholding to anyone - in a career sense. i.e. if I wanted/had earned/deserved something I'd like to be in a position to more or less politely demand it in the knowledge that I could turn on my heel and go if I wanted - that an employer would not have "power over you". I'd absolutely hate to have to go grovelling or begging re something like that - grovelling and begging to the wife is of course perfectly acceptable nay crucial for survival ;)

Ideally I think I'd like to be self-employed, no rush, but its a slow burner in the background.

Back