What kind of pension should I get? The answers !?

A

a0nghus

Hi there

I have struggled with the various pension options open to me since I arrived back in this country 3 months ago. The following outlines the pros and cons of each type and my recommendations for what one to go for whether you’re an employee, self-employed or a 5% director. Hope it is helpful but also looking for feedback where I might have got it wrong.

Regards
Aonghus

What kind of pension should I get?

Depends on whether you are an Employee, Sole Trader or Company Director

Employee options are…
…Occupational (if provided), Personal (if no occupational) or PRSA

If Occupational is provided you should consider:
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Is it defined contribution or defined benefit. If DB then your employer is taking the investment risk and this is a big advantage. Personal/PRSAs are all DC
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp If occupational then your employer must contribute at least 10%. No requirement with Personal/PRSA
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp If occupational there is no (revenue) cap on what your employer contributes. This is restricted in Personal/PRSA
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp If occupational there may be other benefits not included in Personal/PRSA e.g. Death in service
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp If leaving employment you may not be entitled to employer contributions if still inside vesting period. Fully entitled with PRSA
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp If leaving employment your options for what to do with your fund are quite limited as trustees retain control. Control of PRSAs and pensions remains with you
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp On retirement, your options are very limited and FA99 provisions are not available (e.g. transfer to ARF) as they are for Personal/PRSA

If occupational is not provided then your options are Personal pension or PRSA
The points to consider are:
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Flexibility: PRSAs are much more flexible in terms of postponing premiums and transferring monies in and out
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Employer contributions: PRSAs allow employer contributions while personal pensions do not (PRSAs attract BIK but the net effect is zero as the employee receives a tax credit)
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Employer’s PRSI: The amount that employer pays is based on employee gross income LESS PRSA contributions. This creates an incentive for the employer to contribute. Not available with personal pension
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Tax and PRSI relief: These are given at source with PRSA. Also available with Personal but must be applied for separately through IOT and CG
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Charges: Standard PRSA charges are capped making them more transparent. Non-standard PRSAs and Personal pension have no maximum charges BUT still may cost less in the long term depending on individual plan.
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Options on retirement and revenue rules are broadly similar on both.
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Fund Choice: More fund choice exists with Personal and Non-standard PRSAs. This is reflected in the charging structures. Fund choice should be determined by your attitude to risk and reward

Recommendations:

·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Occupational should be seriously considered if 1) Defined benefit scheme and b) employer is making significant contributions. Otherwise…
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp PRSA has the upper hand over Personal on the basis of flexibility, employer’s incentive to contribute, tax and PRSI relief at source.
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp A Standard PRSA has a transparent capped charging structure, which is recommended over a non-Standard or a personal pension if your choice of fund is available. (You should note that a non standard or a personal pension may be less expensive in the long run)
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp If choice of fund is very important then a non standard PRSA and Personal pension have the upper hand in terms of number of funds available

If you are Self employed..
…your options are PRSA versus Personal Pension.

The relative advantages of PRSAs are the same as above except that….

…employer contributions are irrelevant as you are the employer

If you are a company director…
…the recommended option is an Occupational (Executive) scheme because:

·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp You can use company funds to make contributions with no BIK implications
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp There are no revenue limits on amounts contributed by the company
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp You can make personal contributions as well which will attract tax relief at your marginal rate
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Retirement options and control are the same as for PRSA/Personal pensions

Other Options:

Whether Self Employed, an employee or a company director you also have the option of a self-administered pension.

Points to consider:
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Self administered are suitable for people who require a greater level of control over their pension investments
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Direct investment in any assets (at arms length) is allowed i.e. you don’t have to invest via a Life company
·&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp High costs of entry will mean that it only suits high net worth individuals

High Costs

High costs of entry will mean that it only suits high net worth individuals

Actually you don't need to be contributing a huge amount for this to pay. If you're contributing 10-15K p/a it starts to make sense very quickly especially whan you consider the benefits.

That 5% bid-offer spread that you pay for the "advice" when you set up a pension with your bank turns into a very big number very quickly, especially when you pay another 1% annualy for them to "Mis" manage your fund.

Charges for Self administered funds seem big because you know what they are. With bank pensions you really have to look hard to know how much you're paying.

I prefer knowing.

-Rd