What kind of bird is this?

Hi Circle,

Its definitely the heron. Had a visitor who saw it and identified it and its the same bird as in the images other posters put up. Although it may be a juvenile I'm still really unsure of the 4ft though? Colleague is adamant that there is one in her area that is?

If so surely everyone would be aware of them and before this one I've never seen one before...?

They are very common. That doesn't make them any less magnificent to watch. Strangely enough, I have never seen a heronry in Ireland, although I have seen one abroad.

Brendan

A Heron standing upright and extending it's neck could easily reach 4'.

Brendan - I don't understand the reference to a heronry in the context of this discussion so far...?

A baby has just joined the heron. Isn't doing much but interesting to watch. Am supposing there must be a nest nearby. Should I leave food out or is it messing with nature? If I should leave something - any suggestions?

Sorry, the Greenfinch suggestion was meant for Ney001, they were trying to identify a green-coloured bird.

According to my "Bird Book for the Pocket" (1927 edition) swallows are summer migrants from early April-end September, have 4-6 eggs and 2 broods. So you might want to keep an eye on them and get the fascia up between the broods, otherwise you may be waiting until August. Sometime towards the end of June for the end of the first brood? While they return to the same nests, the will find somewhere else close by to nest if they can't get to their previous nest. I've never seen a swallow on the ground, so I wouldn't worry about the dog too much.

Could the green one be a starling? (http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/starling/index.asp) (the picture doesn't do justice to it's colour IMO). In that case, the dog will have at least one of them, as they can be poor flyers out of the nest.

My god, I sound like my dad!