What is your asset allocation?

ringledman

Interested to read what others have as there asset allocation and the reasons for doing so?

Capital preservation rather than capital gains?

You need to elaborate on the question. asset allocation doesn't make any sense!! Are you asking about investment property or rationale for investment strategy?

You need to elaborate on the question. asset allocation doesn't make any sense!! Are you asking about investment property or rationale for investment strategy?

Investment Strategy.

Are you more cautious since the crunch?

Are you more concerned with capital preservation than return on capital?

Is the 60/40 equity/bond model outdated?

What other asset classes do you consider crucial to a solid, defensive portfolio? Gold, Silver, Timber, Property, Infrastructure, cash?

Am curious to whether the credit crunch and 'new normal' has changed people's views as to asset allocation.

Bonds: 0% (I'm actually short US long term treasuries)
Real estate: 0%
Cash: 10% not counting emergency funds; split out over several currencies
Precious metals and miners: 35% and increasing; aiming for about 40-45%
Other Equities: 55%, split into 25% oil/gas/electricity, 25% agriculture and food, 30% industrial, 20% pharmaceutical
Geographical allocation is mainly European but with minimum 40% revenue from Asia, some Canadian, some Australian, some Chinese, and since last year adding Japan. I'd have to look up the exact geographical percentages but the above should give you an idea.

Childrens education. I'm hoping for a big dividend on maturity

Hahaha

A colleague of mine told me about a Canadian relation who "taxed" their children after college to cover all the college costs. I think I'll have to shake hands on such a deal with my 2 year old.