Motor What is the oldest car most insurers will take on?

Monbretia

How old was the car? Just wondering what is the oldest car most places will take on. I have a spare car that hasn't been used in a while, I'm sure it would go with a service but it's old even though very low mileage and someone I know needs a car, just wondering what is the cut off age point for most companies without having to trawl all the companies!

Driving a 16 year old car at the moment, upgraded last year 4 years.
Older than 20 years old your down to one or 2 insurance companies.

In my experience, your existing insurer will continue to renew for as long as your car is on the road.

But getting new quotes once your car is 10+ years is the issue.

In my experience, your existing insurer will continue to renew for as long as your car is on the road.

But getting new quotes once your car is 10+ years is the issue.

The NCT is a legal requirement so once a car of any age has a valid NCT your car is road worthy.
There should be no issues with age of car for insurance reasons

There should be no issues with age of car for insurance reasons
But there always is, I got rid of my old car which was 15 yrs old as I was stuck with my existing insurer, no other one would give me any sort of competitive quote and in fact some just said they didn't insure cars over 15 yrs and some over 10 yrs, it had an NCT.

I know existing insurer will probably keep going with old car but I would not be insuring this particular old car, it would be someone getting insurance in their own name so no record other than as named driver.

My husbands car is 01. He's insured with the same co for many years with no claims or gap in cover.

They issue their annual reminder & the premium has actually decreased, though the value of the car is hardly a factor at this stage.
We did try to shop around a couple of years ago but his own insurer was the cheapest.

It always passes the annual NCT, but his mileage is low and our mechanic says the engine will last forever!

But there always is, I got rid of my old car which was 15 yrs old as I was stuck with my existing insurer, no other one would give me any sort of competitive quote and in fact some just said they didn't insure cars over 15 yrs and some over 10 yrs, it had an NCT.

I know existing insurer will probably keep going with old car but I would not be insuring this particular old car, it would be someone getting insurance in their own name so no record other than as named driver.

Get onto the insurance ombudsman about it,they legally cannot not quote you for an old car.

It's kind of pointless though 'making' them quote when all they have to do is make it ridiculously expensive, I am more interested in what companies don't actually discriminate against older cars.

Last edited:
The motor insurance market is something similar to the banks in competitiveness, where a few of the big ones control the majority of the market..
15+ years ago there would have been a lot more choice in the market to insure your car, and the 12 year old Yaris with a glowing Nct would not have been an issue to insure like it is now.

Rsa , AIG Allianz underwrite for 123, BoxyMo etc, so your still playing by the big Boys rules, and unfortunately the small few dictate the direction of this industry. .

Get onto the insurance ombudsman about it,they legally cannot not quote you for an old car.

Legally, they are absolutely entitled to refuse anyone insurance, they must however tell you why they are refusing, and it can't be one of the protected grounds protected under discrimination legislation. Refusing to quote on an older car is perfectly legal.

In the event that someone fails to obtain a quote from any insurer in the market, they must go through the Declined Cases process where they will be given a quote. Just don't expect it to be cheap!

I am more interested in what companies don't actually discriminate against older cars.

I'm not aware of any company that won't load a policy for an older car, they are generally less safe than newer cars, more likely to break down, and accidents involving older cars have a higher incidence of personal injuries claims.

I would have to disagree with that, I am holding on to my 15yr old car because it has never failed an NCT , petrol averages 40mpg, and doesn't use any oil. I have money saved for a newer car but why? if someone prangs me like my previous car it's only worth about €1500. then I will get another car.
last year I changed my insurance which was half the price of my existing insurance

I would have to disagree with that, I am holding on to my 15yr old car because it has never failed an NCT , petrol averages 40mpg, and doesn't use any oil.

Well, done, you have a well maintained car, but I'm sure you know one example is statistically meaningless. How does it fare against the current NCAP standards? Is it likely that the 2020 model has better scores for passenger protection?

I think a company will not take on an old car as new business, As they deem the risk of you staging an accident, and making a fraudulent claim too high.

Apparently this is a serious fraud problem. Buy a cheap old car get insured stage a 20k claim. Total cost 2k and your morals. Net Gain 18k. And the company has to pay out, or pay to fight it. eitherway costing them money.

Apparently folks don't do it as much when the car is worth decent money, as they could end up losing too much if the claim didn't work out.

I don't understand why they don't look at the driver record though. I mean if you have ten years with no significant claim etc. Surely the risk of attempting this is low.

Last edited:
I don't understand why they don't look at the driver record though. I mean if you have ten years with no significant claim etc.
Unfortunately some underwriters will look upon this as you are statistically now 'due' a claim.

Last edited:
Back