what is the minimum warranty on a used car?

S

sm81

Hi,
I purchased a used car (2002) back in August. At the time I am sure the dealer told me I had a 12 month warranty on the car.
I was driving along Christmas eve when the clutch went in the car and had to be towed. I've since been told the handbrake etc was gone as well and they want 720euro plus VAT just for the clutch and can't tell me what else is wrong until they take the car apart and I will have to pay it as I only have a 3 month warranty which ran out!!
I am disgusted!! The car was apparently fully serviced before I got it in August and I paid over 11,000 euro for it and here I am 4 months down the line waiting on a car that's been in the garage for the last 3 weeks..i am so frustrated but don't know if I have a leg to stand on.

Also, there was no warning given that the clutch was about to go. It literally came out of the blue...I had no warning lights on my dashh..nothing at all and the car is spotless and looks brand new so you don't expect this to happen..

Any advice????

Do you have anything in writing from the time of purchase - receipt/terms & conditions etc?

Is it a franchised dealer?

I'm not sure that a clutch would be covered in any case, might fall under wear & tear. e.g. as detailed and [broken link removed]

It would be normal practice for the dealer to include details of any warranty on the SIMI invoice as an addendum- "3 months parts and labour" or some such clause.

I agree with other posts. May be classified as wear and tear, but check your invoice for terms. I wasn't aware that dealers were obliged to give any warranty, but I could be wrong here.

The clutch is classed as a consumable and chances are it is not covered by the warranty anyway. Would the breaks have been left on while the car was towed?