What is the going rate for grinds for a secondary school student?

28-30 in Kells, Co. Meath. Same in Sligo.

I charge 25 an hour MAX for 3rd level grinds.

Protocol said:
28-30 in Kells, Co. Meath. Same in Sligo.

I charge 25 an hour MAX for 3rd level grinds.

You're in the wrong game mate - get yourself a job where you get paid for doing nothing constructive. A BOSCH service guy charged us €65 recently for telling us he couldn't repair our hob ( call out charge and spent about 20 mins in the house fluting around with said hob) !
Would a teacher get away with charging a student 25 euro for calling out to them only to find that he is incapable of working out eg solutions to past exam questions?

Most such call-out charges particularly if through a company or paid by cheque will be declared for tax. Most teachers grinds will not.

RainyDay, no doubt you will be overjoyed to hear that I actually do declare and pay income tax on my meagre grind income.

I'd say I'm the only teacher in Ireland doing so!!!

RainyDay said:
Most such call-out charges particularly if through a company or paid by cheque will be declared for tax. Most teachers grinds will not.

...which has got nothing whatsoever to do with the point I was making and how you know what appliance servicemen or teachers giving grinds declare or don't declare for tax purposes is beyond me !

I think it really depends on the teacher, there reputation determines how much they charge - the subject also makes a big difference, I reckon Maths grinds are the dearest.

I get Maths grinds once a week from an excellent teacher in his house - €37 per hour. This may seem high, but there is a teacher in our school who charges €70 per hour (possible libelous statement removed).

Edited by Marion: CGorman, based on the personal information which you have provided about yourself on previous posts on AAM, it would be relatively easy to identify the individual teacher to which you refer.

CGorman said:
I get Maths grinds once a week from an excellent teacher in his house - €37 per hour. This may seem high, but there is a teacher in our school who charges €70 per hour (possible libelous statement removed).
So what? If people (parents) are prepared to pay that fee then fair play to the teacher.

FYI from the TUI website........The hourly rate for qualified part-time teachers has now risen to € 36.28 (inclusive of holiday pay) –
This is the rate for part time teachers.

ClubMan said:
So what? If people (parents) are prepared to pay that fee then fair play to the teacher.

Don't get me wrong - he's an excellent teacher - i'm just pointing out that price varies with quality and reputation. As usually Clubman I think supply and demand is the best way to determine price and this is a top class teacher who has a 3 year waiting list. As you say, fair play to him.

Back