what is the correct depth for central heating pipes to be under the floor?

NOAH

Help, I am getting a new ch sytem installed in an old bungalow and want the pipes under the floor but this is a raft foundation and the top floor is not very thick, the raft is like flint so difficult to kango. What is the depth I should use for the pipes? Is there a minimum etc?

Also will the depth used in the old part of the house impact on the depth that can be used in the new parts where the floors will be of the correct thickness and as they have not been poured yet I have no problem there.

It was kangoed at w/e and the depth is only about 2 and a half inches.

NOAH

If you're talking about central heating pipework and the like at least 50mm cover over the pipe should be available, obviously this would mean 50mm over any pipe insulation too. Any less than that and you risk cracking in the sand/ cement later.

thank you, I was not sure, as its an old house the screed is not very thick so I want to use an angle grinder to cut into the raft and this should ensure I have 50mm. I am hoping plumber will do this as a matter of course but want to be on a sure footing if I have to give him a nudge.

Noah

Just to confirm: if you are using a 25mm (1") pipe, allow 15mm all round for insulation, thus you will need a (say) 100mm deep chase to ensure you get 50mm cover over the pipe work. I'd say you'd be better of hiring a con saw or wet floor saw if you plan on cutting a lot of chases in the floor. It's a dirty job anyway but an anglegrinder wouldn't really be up to the job.

Back