What is sufficient mileage to warrant diesel?

i think you should go and order a shiny new 1.4 petrol almera . you will be much happier and wont be fretting about the decision afterwards

as diesels both hold their value better and are easier to sell on than petrols your comparison and conclusions are therefore complete rubbish

I think xt40 you should read my post again before posting ignorant remarks.

2 points to re-read in particular:

* I came to the conclusion that over a 3yr span I would have to be doing 25k miles per year for the extra cost of purchase, tax and insurance of the diesel to be cancelled out by the cheaper fuel costs.

* So to summarise at end of year 3 I would be financially no better/worse off but may possibly have a more valuable car in the diesel.

For what it's worth have a look at this link: Carzone - 2004 year Golf's (3 years as per my example) - mix of Petrol & Diesels - not a big difference in price between petrol & diesel.
http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/inde...&Model=Golf&ModelID=281&Year=2004&GroupID=738

i think you should go and order a shiny new 1.4 petrol almera . you will be much happier and wont be fretting about the decision afterwards

Its been replaced by the Tiida - the saloon version of which is arguably even more bland than the Almera !!!

[broken link removed]

i saw one of those and assumed it was some kind of micra with a boot stuck on. god its ugly

Well, I've just done a cost/analysis for both 3 and 5 years with the following cars.
1. 2004 Alfa Romeo GT 2.0 petrol Selespeed
2. 1993 Porsche 968 Tiptronic 3.0 Petrol
3. 1994 Porsche 993 Tiptronic 3.6 Petrol
4. 2005 Mazda RX8 1.8 Petrol
5. 2004 Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 diesel
6. 2007 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 Petrol Selespeed - brand new.

Bit of an eclectic bunch, I'm sure you'll agree, but all met the requirements for 4 seats and style (ok, I'm shallow, so sue me.... )

I included purchase price, borrowings for anything in excess 20k to buy over 3 & 5 yrs, depreciation, tax, insurance, servicing and fuel. It's based on my mileage of 5k p.a., so bear that in mind.

And winners were, in the 3 yrs category, with the cheapest at the top of the pile.... (drum roll, please...)
Porsche 968 3.0 petrol
AR GT 1.9 Diesel
AR 2.0 GT & 156 - tie
Mazda RX8
Porsche 993

More importantly though, the difference between first place (968) second place (the AR GT 1.9 Diesel) is a staggering..............Eur11,000 over 3 years.

And the winners in the 5 yrs category are...........

Porsche 968 - again
AR GT 1.9 diesel & 156 2.0 petrol - tie
Mazda RX8
AR GT 2.0 Selespeed
Porsche 993

This time, the 968 beat the others into 2nd place by........Eur 13,000 over the 5 years !! Holy Schweppes !

Armed with this irrefutable evidence, we have sold our 07 Galaxy and replaced it with an 02 Mazda...........and I'm off to buy a Porsche !!