What is PowerReg Scheduler V2?

S

Slash

In my Start Up folder, there is something called "PowerReg Scheduler V2". Does anyone know what this is? Can I safely delete it from my Start Up folder without affecting the operation of the laptop? I don't like having anyhting in there unless it's necessary.

Thanks.

If you didn't install it in the first place then it shouldn't be there. This particular beasty seems to be some adware. Arm yourselve with a few anti-adware things like Spybot, Microsoft's recent offering and AdAware. Look at the key post at the top of this very forum.

Thanks very much for that.

I had run Ad-Aware, but it didn't pick up PowerReg Scheduler, which is a bit worrying. Anyway, I have downloaded Spybot, and will run that regularly also.

This may seem like a dumb question, but, how do you back up the registry prior to running a Reg Cleaner? Is it likely to be in Program Files folder?

how do you back up the registry prior to running a Reg Cleaner?

One way is to use Start -> Run... -> regedit to run the Windows Registry Editor, select My Computer in the treeview control and then select Registry -> Export Registry File... from the menu to save the registry contents to a file. This may take a while and may generate a large file. You can also selectively backup specific parts of the registry by selecting lower level nodes in the treeview. Other registry editor/cleaner utilities may also include their own registry backup/restore features.

That's great. Many thanks.

I ran Spybot, which includes a registry back-up function.

Back