What is a condenser dryer

Sarah

May sound like a stupid question and prob is but are they the dryers that dont need a vent? I.E Having to put the pipe out a window or plumb it in? Are they of any use and do they really eat up the electricity bill?

Also, off this topic, can anyone tell me what a collapsable shower door is....i was imagining a concertina effect door that folds back onto itself. Would i be right?

Thanks a mill

Sarah

Re: What is a condencer dryer

Sarah,

You are correct on both counts !!

Condenser Dryer: Gathers the water in a container in the dryer which you empty when it gets full. I have a Zanussi condenser dryer for the past 3 yrs and I can recommend them. I don't think that they are much harder on elec than the vented type but I could be wrong.

Collapsable Shower Screen: As you said, concertina type. Advantage - You can move it back and forth to allow more access to bath for e.g. bathing a baby or whatever. Disadvantage: The seal tends not to last as long due to all the movement back and forth and will eventually leak. Seal is easily replaced though. Again, I have one and can recommend.

J.

I have a Whirlpool condenser dryer and can recommend it. Water cartridge only needs to be emptied every 4-5 cycles in my house.

A condenser drier retains all the water in a kind of small tank which needs emtying after a few cycles. No vent is needed - which is the main reason for getting them really - if you have no handy outside wall. They do make the room they are in fairly warm - but not too bad. They do use more electricity than a vented one - but not sure how much.
Get one that senses when the clothes are dry - that will help save electricity.

Looking at Zanussi's website, comparing the same model, the condensing option uses 50% more electricity for the same program.
Leo

Its a pain in the behind to have to get a vent hole drilled for the ordinary dryer,
But compared to condenser dryers, they are much more economical on electricity and also dry quicker

We have a condenser dryer and had it on all winter....it didn't give us horrendous esb bills so would say its worth not having to drill holes. Dryer is extremely convenient in this climate a very worthwhile investment.

We have a condenser dryer and had it on all winter....it didn't give us horrendous esb bills so would say its worth not having to drill holes. Dryer is extremely convenient in this climate a very worthwhile investment.

Does anyone else out there have one? Thinking of buying one in the next week or so and would be grateful if anyone could let me know if they are good and maybe recommend a brand... thanks!

Does anyone else out there have one? Thinking of buying one in the next week or so and would be grateful if anyone could let me know if they are good and maybe recommend a brand... thanks!

Yip I had a hotpoint one and found it fantastic! have bought the very same one for my new house, just different colour! You just empty the tank after a few washes and wash the fluff off the thingamebob inside the door (Im Blonde!!). We were told that one of the main reasons that these dryers kick up is because people dont look after these aspects, so just to get you into good habits I would say wash off the "thingamebob" after every wash and check the tank each time to ensure the water is not about to flow over - it only takes seconds but once you get used to doing it that way! My parents have a vented dryer and i have to say I dont think its a patch on the condenser - I will never be swayed back!

We have a Hoover, having looked up the Which? report to see about reliability, running costs etc. Gave our vented dryer away and, to be honest, I regret doing that.

I agree the condenser saves drilling the wall hole, and for added convenience we don't have to empty ours - we just connected the water tank to the utility drain with a short link of hose. So they're good that way but...

on the other hand the room is hot and damp after using the dryer. So much so, in fact, that we had to put in an extractor fan! Guess what that means? Yep - drilling the wall We found the back gets very hot with use, so had so leave more space behind and around than we hoped...

Would have been simpler and cheaper to stay with vented. If you can drill the wall (and it's generally pretty easy, if a bit messy, (we had two feet of granite to go through!) I'd do that.