What investment fund to put pension pot in?

wrongnumber

I am 36 and my wife is 34.
  • I have a 180k pension pot and I am invested 100% in diversified equities.
  • My wife has an 80k pension pot. I was shocked that it was that low relative to mine (our contributions and salary would not result in that difference).
  • We reviewed her investments and realised she is invested in the "default" strategy - 40% Shares/60% Bonds...annualised returns of c.3.5%, which explains it.
  • I am of the view that we should invest her 80k pot 100% into diversified equites given we have 25 - 30 years to retirement.
  • She wants to stay in the default strategy as she is concerned about the risk profile of having all our combined investments in "high risk" equities.
I know there is a subjective element to this but keen to understand the view of people on here... surely I am correct?! Any thoughts?

Last edited:
With c30 years to go to retirement, ye both should be taking a long term investment view. That means 100% Equities. Yes it may be volatile at times, but historically Equities have been the best performing asset class over the last 100
years.

I believe what throws people is the word ‘Risk’.
Risk of volatility is more appropriate.
Risk (to many) implies the risk of losing your investment. That understandably scares people.
If explained and understood properly, that risk of volatility can be to one’s advantage in the accumulation phase.
I’ve seen the light go on in colleagues eyes when the risk is explained to them and subsequently embraced.
In the run in to draw down perhaps the risk should be revisited to settle on a strategy that allows one to sleep easy.
A lot of successful results stem from an ability to keep your hands in your pockets and do nothing for the vast majority of time.

Back