What have the Greens achieved in government?

I'm sorry there are greens in goverment? They really are a separate party? I always thought they are an offshoot of Zanu FF just painted in a slightly different colour. They actualy have political goals of their own? Wow....

Anyhow:

They archived pension entitlements [for their ministers and TD's]
They archived job creation [for their friends & family]
They archived personal wealth [for their ministers and TD's]

They also archived to show us once again that you can't trust nobody, not even so called alternative honest parties.

Quite a lot for such a small party.

The latest Red Sea Poll show that they maintained their 'popularity' at 7% compared to swings with the other parties. However I do often wonder about these polls - 1000 people were asked - is that a fair sample size across all demographics?

Whenever you hear Eamon Ryan interviewed he sounds just like a Fianna Fail Minister.

Ruam

My guess is the greens will come out of this stronger.

The old green vote will go down, but many center and unaligned voters will be impressed by the same reasons the hard core are disappointed - the pragmatism that's been shown,the fact that they're not that different, and that they've stuck it out in government under tough circumstances.

Up to 2007 the greens were largely a fringe protest party - not now.

The two ministers are easily amongst the best media performers amongst all the ministers, well able to speak on their ministries and outside their ministries.

As to what they've done, it's been two years with increasingly tight finances, achievements are going to be thin. I'm just happy we've a comms minister who shows an interest and aptitude in a key ministry that's been sadly lacking that.

I agree with a lot of what Ashambles said. I don't think The Greens will perform half as badly as many of us have predicted.

The public's ire will be visited on FF, I feel, and it will be well deserved. Dan Boyle, (for whom I have never voted), goes on radio when/after something political has blown up and he outlines what The Greens think should happen. Though he is not without sin, he's certainly less evasive than his FF fellow travellers. Meanwhile, FF huff and puff and say nothing much will happen, but The Greens often get their way, as happened, for example, when they said a long time ago that there had to be a banking clearout at the top.

Two questions....

(1) Did I hear on the radio today that some of our Senior Citizens are forming a new political party for forthcoming elections?

(2) Do AAM members think we'll have more Independant T.D.'s in the next Dáil and, if we do, will they turn up for controversial votes?