What happens if L Drivers are caught unaccompanied

askU

What happens if L Drivers are caught unaccompanied without a person that has a full licence?

Last edited:
I thought provisional drivers were only required to be accompanied by a full-license holder if they didn't display an L plate i.e. one or the other but not both.

Open to correction though.

Listening to talk radio earlier - fines of up to €1000 for Learner drivers caught without accompanying full license holder.
Provisional drivers must display L plates at all times and must have full license holder with them at all times (the second part was not enforced up to now but will be from July).

You need to display L plates and be accompanied by someone holding a full license. There's also a minimum period that the person accompanying you should have held a full license, I think 2 years.

They really need to clamp down on this, and imported cars, no tax and insurance too.

They really need to clamp down on this, and imported cars, no tax and insurance too.

I would rather see them spending the man hours clamping down on speeding / eratic & dangerous driving rather than on the revenue generating typical fines - though I accept these areas need to be addressed aswell.
I just think the priorities are wrong.
What will happen when they enforce this rule about L plates /unoccumpanied driving etc and the level of road deaths stays at the same level which I suspect it will.
What other "easy target" (young drivers) will they blame I wonder?

Priority should be given to infrastructure improvement - -relatively simple changes such as the installation of cental dividing barriers would see adramatic fall off in road deaths.

Its not the Guards job to build roads and barriers.

I see everyday an increasing number of L plate drivers (of all ages and nationalities including Irish) who obviously cannot drive and haven't the first notion about the rules of the road. They wander all over the road and through junctions, leaving a trail of near misses in their wake. Personally I think where theres smoke there fire. People are generally very consistent. Someone who decides to ignore all the basic rules and legal requirements, and then drives without a valid licence, tax or insurance, isn't going to bother about following the rules of the road very carefully are they. Quite a number of recent high profile accidents with multiple deaths have involved drivers like this.

i googled this yesterday and couldnt find it. I think i read in the Indo today it was fine of upto €2,000 and/or jail sentence.

I can't wait till they start pulling over L plate vehicles on motorways like the M50 and M1. It's been an absolute disgrace for more years than I care to remember. I pay a toll to get away from L plate drivers. Time to kick them off the tolled motorways.

is good enough, but hasn't? Given that waiting lists have fallen drastically, what's their excuse for not having a full licence?

It means someone who is good enough to pass the test and makes fewer errors than lazy drivers who passed the test years ago or had the licence handed to them.
Do I take it then that you don't have a full driving licence?

Actually it was meant to be a rhetorical question.

I was suggesting thats there more to being a good driver than simply moving a car from A-B. For example having insurance, doesn't fall within your definition. If you have enough sense to know you don't need L plates you should have enough sense to realise its a legal requirement. If you don't want L plates. Do your test. It is not showing good judgement to drive unlicenced, uninsured etc. Driving on the road, being a good driver is also about responsibility and good judgment. L plates are meant to be temporary while your leanring. Not a means to avoid doing the test.

I....I dont' see it as a rhetorical question requiring no response when you ''quote'" me. .

But I didn't quote you...

I also do not see how lecturing and moralising with people based upon some form of incredible speculation in any way furthers the aims of answering the original question posed by this thread. Perhaps you need a soapbox or a pulpit.

You mean like a forum? Great idea. I LIKE it....Hang on a minute...

This is getting childish. You put the words "good driver" in quotes.

You used the term when you clearly don't understand what it means. Can you even drive?

This is getting childish. You put the words "good driver" in quotes.

Ah I see. I did it for emphasis. Usually to quote on a forum means using quote tags. Which I didn't. Hence the confusion. I see what you mean. Your defination of a good driver is of very narrow scope, and not correct in the context of driving legally on a road.

That also was intended as a rhetorical question.

I wasn't aware of a one question one answer rule on these forums. I thought related discussions were allowed.
The suggestion was made that enforcing these rules was not that important. That would seem to be related.
You asked a different question to the original poster, and haven't answered his question either.

The original question would seem to have been answered by the third post in. After that its just the usual chat.

With repect needing L plates is driving 101. You said you knew good drivers who didn't use L plates. I disagree thats a good driver. Hardly a million miles, or huge leap in logic. Its also a different topic than being unaccompanied. though not a a million miles away either. IMO.

The point of L plates is to notify other road users that the driver in question hasn't got a full licence, and that they should proceed accordingly - nothing to do with magical powers I'm afraid.